Defender v12

dorky

it will go in engine bay but with out water works up front going to have to go the Tomcat route and mount rad in back behind truck cab with Twin kenlows. gaerbox will be adapted LT85 or R380 with uprated lt230 transfer. Props will be adapted De Carbon heavy duty. Exhuast system will be tube primerys to step down in 4 exit pipes or maybe 2 side exit exhaust pipes like old fashion cobra classic.

I will keep posting any updates

it will go in engine bay but with out water works up front going to have to go the Tomcat route and mount rad in back behind truck cab with Twin kenlows. gaerbox will be adapted LT85 or R380 with uprated lt230 transfer. Props will be adapted De Carbon heavy duty. Exhuast system will be tube primerys to step down in 4 exit pipes or maybe 2 side exit exhaust pipes like old fashion cobra classic.

I will keep posting any updates

might be best to start a build thread in the members vehicles forum, then it'll all be in one place.

A pretty ambitious project, but no reason not to give it a go.

Many years ago I met a chap who had squeezed a Jag V12 into a 109". The truck was rough as hell, and the exhuast was blowing a treat, so it sounded more like a Spitfire :) Not sure what gearbox he had used, but I can't imagine anything Series lasting long if it was used hard

The radiator panel had been moved forward so it was flush fronted (Defender like). The rear body was a custom made recovery truck body with Harvey Frost crane. IIRC it was running 900x16 bar grips in its role as off road event recovery truck. A real brute of a vehicle.

So there you are, if it will fit a 109" you should be able to manage to shoehorn it into a Defender :lol:

Good luck.

probabably one of your biggest headaches will be cooling system , I ran a XJS for a while , they have viscous and electric fans, and twin thermostats , and its a real critical thing with them , it was efi and even had a heat exchanger on the fuel feed coupled to the aircon to cool the fuel ! I have heard of one in a 109 , pretty sure that used the auto box tho . FME they dont have a lot of torque low down , but it builds real quick as the revs go up 60-100mph in the length of an artic IIRC

• 2 months later...

I am considering fitting a non-electric Small Block Chevy V8 into my Defender 110. I havent found many people online who have attempted or completed such a project, so I am curious how your V12 turns out. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

I am considering fitting a non-electric Small Block Chevy V8 into my Defender 110. I havent found many people online who have attempted or completed such a project, so I am curious how your V12 turns out. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Not uncommon here, including using LS6's.

One bloke here has shoehorned in one of the latest Duramax engines and Allison auto in Defender.

360HP and 900Nm/663lb/ft of torque anyone ?

http://www.aulro.com...d-defender.html

Sorry for the slight derail.

If you're anywhere near Cinderford, Allisport have a 110 in there for a rad. It has a brand new big block Chevy in the front. It's surprising how neatly it fits.

I did a 502cu Chev rat back in 1998 into a 110 csw. Fitted very nicely,but needed a lump in the bonnet to clear the carb and nitrous plate.It ran a TH400 box against a standard 230 transfer box.Underbonnet heat was an issue,but no where near as bad as the brakes....

At 120mph the door tops bow out by about 1 1/2", I didnt ever go much faster than that,it was on BFG AT tyres.

Far more fun than you could imagine,but the fuel consumption was staggering.The owner has a thing about big yank v8's,the last car I did for him was a Dax Cobra which finished up with an 8.9ltr Ford.

If you're anywhere near Cinderford, Allisport have a 110 in there for a rad. It has a brand new big block Chevy in the front. It's surprising how neatly it fits.

Unfortunately, Im located in North Carolina. Its a bit of a trek to Cinderford, but at least Im glad to know that someone has completed this kind of swap successfully.

I did a 502cu Chev rat back in 1998 into a 110 csw. Fitted very nicely,but needed a lump in the bonnet to clear the carb and nitrous plate.It ran a TH400 box against a standard 230 transfer box.Underbonnet heat was an issue,but no where near as bad as the brakes....

At 120mph the door tops bow out by about 1 1/2", I didnt ever go much faster than that,it was on BFG AT tyres.

Far more fun than you could imagine,but the fuel consumption was staggering.The owner has a thing about big yank v8's,the last car I did for him was a Dax Cobra which finished up with an 8.9ltr Ford.

That sounds incredible, but I dont know if I have the stones to do 120 in a Defender. Did you cut the bonnet? Do you think swapping to a Puma bonnet would take care of the clearance issue? Glad to hear a TH400 fits without modifying the firewall/tunnel. All this info gives me hope. Thanks much. You could say this Yank has a thing for V8's too.

I'm sure i read about a chap in the states who'd put a Dodge Viper V10 in a defender, which was great, but he was having problems with it eating gearboxes, transfer boxes and engine mounts.

Sounds like a fantastic project though! I'd quite like to see a Cummings Diesel V8 in a landy.....

If you're looking at american V8's I'd chuck an LS in there, they are almost identical in size/weight to the Rover V8 so fitting is not an issue, plus the efi is proven to work underwater. Talk to John at Speartech for a bulletproof ECU map & wiring loom - drop it in, connect ~5 wires, laugh like a loon.