Help Needed Please

stuck

Gents,

I'm trying to set the timing on my 4.6 & I'm struggling so would appreciate your help.

With No 1 at TDC I have marked a line on to the water pump and marked the trigger wheel tooth next to it.

Problem I have is with the strobe connected and the engine ticking over the two marks are approx 90 degrees apart!?

I wouldn't have thought the engine would even start with the timing that far out would it?

I can move the trigger wheel sensor bracket a bit I guess but 90 degrees out suggests I'm doing something wrong to me!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mick.

Cheers Nige,

On this engine can you remember where the VR sensor sat in relation to the trigger wheel?

I currently have it sat at 3 O'clock looking from the front, I haven't tried but I guess it could be moved between 1 & 5 O'clock.

Thanks.

Right,

Quick update:

Check HT leads and EDIS wiring as per Nige's pics all good.

Checked timing marks with No 1 at TDC & both valves closed again all good

Strove still shows timing to be 90 degrees out, not good.

Any ideas chaps as this is driving me nuts!

Thanks.

Mick, how did you find TDC ?

Are you running it with the edis jumper plug out ? Like this it'll be 10 degreest out iirc (will have to check the exact details).

Is the truck driveable ? i.e. you wish to pop down ?

Edit : without teaching you to suck eggs, you've got the timing light working correctly haven't you ?

Hi Gordon,

Found TDC by removing rocker cover, bored out an old spark plug (what a bitch that is) and inserting a length of nylon rod.

Turn crank until No.1 is at TDC with both valves closed & mark pulley either side of TDC, timing mark slap bang in the middle.

Took the plugs out tonight & something is certainly out of whack:

IMG_0066.jpg

Plug on No.1 looks like it's straight out of the box (all 8 have done less than 100 miles)

Timing marks aside engine is certainly not running on all 8 as the pic would indicate.

Can't drive it over as the mot has expired & I don't think it's going to pass the emissions some how running on 7 cylinders :angry2:

As it is only one, swap out ht lead with a known good, as out is wasted spark you can pretty much eliminate the coil packs.

Other thing is injector, check connector for damage, remove injector, fit a piece of fuel pipe to it and give it a blow, it should be shut at this point. Next give it 12v across the terminals, and blow again, it should blow clearly through.

You could also have a duff plug, even if new.

If all the above are ok, then there must be a fault in the loom.

Cheers G,

I may need to take you up on that.

I've found the reason No.1 plug looked so new, injector wasn't ehm, injecting.

Sorted that and it's running a lot better.

I've also moved the crank sensor as far as it will go on the bracket but the timing marks still look about 60 degrees out, this is confusing the hell out of me.

Engine is running a lot better just don't understand the timing mark issue.

Maybe I can clarify Fridge's diagram a little:

With No 1 at TDC (Doesn't matter which stroke, as long as it's TDC) the crank sensor should be 5 teeth behind the gap. Doesn't matter where around the pulley is, as long as the gap is 5 teeth in front.

So, if you're bringing it up to TDC in the running direction (clockwise from the front), your sensor will first pass the gap and then at TDC it will be on the 5th tooth after the gap.

Check numbers 1 and 6 are on the same coil and connected to spark A (that's the closest to the centre of the EDIS connector of the coil pack pins)

Then try the timing light again - both on number 1 lead and number 6 lead.