Timing belt, what's needed?

Mutley

Ok i,m thinking of having a go at this job in the near future (No I haven't had too much to drink....Yes I need looking at)!

I know there is a good bit of info about doing this job on here somewhere when I can find it.

My problem will be when I start the job obviously the Landy's out of commission till fixed, and as I live out

in the sticks a bit i will need to have everything to hand.

So basically what do I need to get before i start?...... what is likely to break?.....What special tools?....What should i renew/replace?

Cheers for any info on this matter Mutley

get the right belt kit, based on your engine number. There are two types of tensioner early and late.

mmmmmm Tools bit of an investment required for this job, unless you have them.

viscous fan spanner

Coolant, for the refill and a few decent new hoseclips 55-80mm

locking tool for the crankshaft (£80 difflock)

locking pins for timing (difflock £160 :blink: )

puller for crank damper and gear (included in £160 above)

27mm 3/4" impact grade socket and 3/4" breaker bar

torque wrench

1/2" socket set

some loctite thread locker

maybe a new crank bolt

inner and outer oil seals for the crankshaft, and a seal puller tool (sealey £15)

8mm? male hex socket (like an stubby allen key but 1/2" socket on the end)

There are a few tools which make your life easier mentioned above, the essential one is the crank locking tool you will struggle to hold the engine still without it. The puller/locking pins you can probably make or use alternates.

A friend with a car for the bits you forget, and a sense of humour.

Or avoid the tool spend and take it to the garage.

Did my one in a day, drained coolant, removed radiator and front grill then followed the info by Les in Tech archive. You need a good quality timing kit.

Viscous spanner, pullers and I think it was a 9.5mm drill. The drill locks the fuel pump. I might add that I had to do my one twice as got it 1 tooth out first time. Never had the flywheel locking pin just used the shaft keys and marks (still wonder if I should have used one and may still get something and check it again) To be honest it only cost me the price of the kit, borrowed viscous spanner - had a drill - borrowed pullers. Torque wrench would be handy.

Give it a go - it good to learn.

Always check it - check it again - have a cup of tea and check it again.

Found this on you know where Bay, good price 40 notes (cheaper than above) I know it's home made but seem to have sold a few and got good feedback on it, any thoughts?

PULLER for 300tdi CRANK & TIMING PULLEYS + TIMING PINS

post-15547-0-26536300-1325413800_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer Western, but as i have a birthday coming up (early March) and the wife is always struggling for ideas ;)

And it would seem to be a useful bit of kit to have lying around, any thoughts on the above item?

ok so doing my homework here......Have read archive thread on this and took some notes of what you guys have said.

How difficult is it to set the timing or what can you do to make sure it's right, as don't want to be going through this lot

agian to alter/adjust the thing? is it just a case of following the thread and checking to make sure everything is in line/lined up

and that nothing has moved?

That tool is for locking the crank while you use a socket and breaker bar to get the nut off!

When I did mine I used the transmission to lock it, though I have heard reports of the clutch slipping when attempting this. So one would have to make a locking tool that picked up on the crank damper bolts and locked against the chassis or ground.

Is this item

post-15547-0-30576500-1325440166.jpg

An essential piece of kit or would a socket and breaker bar work with a bit of care?

It's essential IMHO, it stops the crankshaft turning when trying to undo or do the crankshaft bolt back up. It wedges underneath the chassis rails.

To give you an idea, I had mine fitted. with a 3/4" drive britool bar and a draper expert 3/4" 27mm socket with a 6 ft length of scaffold pipe to tighten the crank bolt up tight enough.

you tighten up with torque wrench to 180Nm? then another 90 degrees to the right, which is the back breaker. If your crank moves during this operation you won't know how much you need extra. If your clutch is iffy you'l never get it tight and theres a chance you could damage something gearbox related.

Pervious to the 3/4" bits I have now I tried a 1/2" breaker bar and sheared the breaker bar pin. Then the new 3/4" breaker bar sheared the 3/4" to 1/2" adaptor I was using on a 1/2" drive 27mm socket. So I had to go and buy a 3/4" britool 27mm 12 point socket.

So yes I would consider it essential, you can get the bolt undone using the starter motor trick (didn't work for me) but tightening can only be done by hand.

link to instructions so you can see how it works

http://www.difflock.com/downloads/DIFFLOCK-Anti-Rotation.pdf

I had forgotten that thread Western, the homemade tool would be cheaper and most likley work, a fair bit of twisting stress on the long bolts into the damper though? The lr tool boss reaches right to the damper face this means less chance of bending/snapping the bolts as they are under 100% shear force

Good thread, Some good discussion into the pro's and cons of bolt removal.

Mutley, white90's pic on page two shows how the lr/difflock tool goes together.

Is this item

post-15547-0-30576500-1325440166.jpg

An essential piece of kit or would a socket and breaker bar work with a bit of care?

I used an impact gun to undo the crank, because it gives lots of rapid whallops the crank doesn't slip against the clutch...and i'm rather lazy so didn't fancy wrestling with a breaker bar :ph34r:

Harry

I've not managed to slip the clutch on either my old 200tdi or the new 300tdi so I wouldn't bother with the crank locking tool. The trick of using the starter to undo the nut works a treat for me. I paid £16 for a set of locking pins and an ordinary three legged pulled will remove the crank pulley. The only tool that is slightly out of the ordinary and is definately required is a deflection type torque wrench so that you can exert a steady pressure on the belt while tensioning it.

Me I'm not the luckiest bloke alive and anything involved in taking a chance just wont work in my favour!

And there is no way the wife will buy me 2 pressies at these prices, so I think I will look to borrow or make something

to do the job, maybe along the lines of what Western has pointed out......something to ponder anyway as it's

not urgent, but would like it done before June.