Mounting A Second Alternator On A Gems 4.6

stuck

Gents,

I'm sure mounting a second alternator on a Gems 4.6 has done before but I can't find any info on here or via Google.

Any chance of a pic of how it's done, bracket details & what belt you have used?

At the moment I'm not running an air con pump as a compressor but would like to if it's possible with the additional alternator.

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

Why do you want another one ?

Would a single 200A alt be an easier option.

thats gonna take a hell of a belt to drive it..

Batterys only accept about 25amps maximum charge so unless your powering a small town off the landy a alt that size is pointless.

The joy of 2 alts is you get 2 self maintaining, independant electrical systems, if you want to then pull big current, you join the battery possitves through an isolator and off you go. I run 2 65 amp alts and they keep up with anything i throw at them.

thats gonna take a hell of a belt to drive it..

Batterys only accept about 25amps maximum charge so unless your powering a small town off the landy a alt that size is pointless.

The joy of 2 alts is you get 2 self maintaining, independant electrical systems, if you want to then pull big current, you join the battery possitves through an isolator and off you go. I run 2 65 amp alts and they keep up with anything i throw at them.

Hi,

Belt - a normal serpentine belt as found on a v8 p38 will be perfectly fine. The same theory applies if you're running 2 x 100A alts on the same belt. We've done this many a time.

I honestly don't see the point in running 2 x 12v battery systems. May as well make one big system that powers everything. Use a split relay if you wish to save one of the batteries for if you were using it and the engine was not running.

Agree, to a degree, but why not have a couple batteries with a nice big alt and you're onto a winner. Take for example if you're operating a winch that is drawing 200A - your truck will draw for example another 30A max ? (My p38 draws about 30A under normal conditions).... Your alt will be producing max at this point (say 100A), the remainder will be coming from the battery. When you let off the winch motor the alt will produce as much as the battery(s) can take to recharge it. If you had in this instance 2 seperate systems (2 x small alts)...Then you'll effictively have less power on the winching side, although the engine side will be as normal.

I guess it all comes down to how you'd sperate the 2 systems. What components would be run off what ? Winches on one, lights on the other / with engine ?? But how often do you winch in the grand scale of things, how often are your lights on etc ? This is probably the main reason i prefer to stick to a KISS method. A vehicle itself does not need much power to keep running.

If you want to know about silly current draw, my F250 today which isn't starting for some reason was drawing 680A max peak. These come as standard with 2 bat's wired without split relay.

G

Belt - a normal serpentine belt as found on a v8 p38 will be perfectly fine. The same theory applies if you're running 2 x 100A alts on the same belt. We've done this many a time.

1 x 200A alternator does not have the same properties as 2 x 100A, the 2 x 100A will have more than twice the wrap angle for belt contact area (looking at mine it's more like 3 times the wrap angle) and therefore less likely for the belt to slip.

Doh...ok, on that part yes 2 x alts are better. I was meaning in energy required. i.e 100 x 2 = 200 x 1

I still say that a single serp belt does work.

Personally i've run 2 x 200A @ 18v+ (variable reg) as well as a basic 80A @ 12v. One a little peugeot 1.6.

One thing i missed in my previous post is that when your all singing all dancing expensive 200 amp packs up, your all singing all dancing split charge relay is of no use, the car comes to a halt... On a 2 alt system, if one packs up you close the isolator between the 2 possitives and the car and its accessories will keep on going... Another reason I always recommend 2 alts instead of a split charge.

Daan. Can i ask how you've tested this ? We used to have a limit of 2,000rpm and we had our alternators producing as much as possible at this point. I'd put it more down to different makes / models / types of alternators and the amount that they put out at idle.

G

One thing i missed in my previous post is that when your all singing all dancing expensive 200 amp packs up, your all singing all dancing split charge relay is of no use, the car comes to a halt... On a 2 alt system, if one packs up you close the isolator between the 2 possitives and the car and its accessories will keep on going... Another reason I always recommend 2 alts instead of a split charge.

I can't disagree. If it freaks out then well ya, a second would definately help. The latest price i had for a 210 A alt was c. £130 - £150. Grove Auto Parts

Daan. Can i ask how you've tested this ? We used to have a limit of 2,000rpm and we had our alternators producing as much as possible at this point. I'd put it more down to different makes / models / types of alternators and the amount that they put out at idle.

G

I did not physically test this, but I was involved with a sandwhich van at some stage in my career, which stood stationary for hours on time with the engine running at 1000 rpm. This did suffer from flattened batterys, and one of the solutions to try and combat this problem was to fit a larger alternator (24 V iskra from memory). This made things worse. We then got the charging curves of both the alternators and the result was that at 1000 rpm (about 1500 rpm on the alternator), the larger alternator was worse.

Daan