Strong bonnet stay for 200tdi

Mo & Ross, would you be happy to supply a diagram/measurements of your brackets for the tech archive, I'm sure lots of other 90/110 owners would like to do the strut mod.

Certainly Ralph :)

Pah, most car bonnet stays are made from spaghetti metal!

What's wrong with the original LR one made from 2 bits of flat bar that hinge in the middle? They cope with bonnets that carry spare wheels surprisingly well.

I was meaning for gas struts :P

It's difficult to provide measurements because many gas struts are of different lengths and strengths.

For mine, I just fixed the wing end first about 8" from the bulkhead. I used a couple of bits of ally angle about 2" x 1/2" rivetted to the bonnet flange and hey presto bonnet struts.

Looking at the pics is probably the best explanation.

One thing I have noticed is that with one stut holding the bonnet, you get a lot of movement in the wing at the lower mount when opening and closing the bonnet, which will lead to failure of the mounting point eventually. Fitting a second strut has eliminated any flex at all which has got to be good for longevity.

HTH

Mo

Echo Mo's thoughts, all struts are different sizes and on mine there is some flex, but this is due to the wing. I will get some measurements and a picture :)

One thing my strut has done a couple of times... when the bonnet is opened quickly, the strut can push that side of the bonnet out of its hinge.

Because it's pushing the hinge end of the bonnet, there's a reason to turn them round Ross as I've not had this problem.

Mo

Abit OT but i used a strut from a corsa B boot on my rear lift up door, These are plentiful (at the moment) and are a nice sort of size to work with, the corsa also have a nice M8 ball fitting on both ends, some euroboxs have the ball welded to the boot.

Will.

Pah, most car bonnet stays are made from spaghetti metal!

What's wrong with the original LR one made from 2 bits of flat bar that hinge in the middle? They cope with bonnets that carry spare wheels surprisingly well.

Until they fail and the bonnet falls on your heed and kills you. The solid ones must have been made for a reason.

• 2 weeks later...