Sourcing parts for American engines in Europe

elbekko

(Yes, it's LR related as it's for Mouse)

The serpentine belt idler pulley on Mouse has given the ghost, and we're having some trouble finding it. We tried sourcing a replacement bearing and pressing it in, but it seems the pulley wasn't designed for that (or we did it wrong), and now the pulley's all wonky.

The local parts place can only order based on VIN, which is a bit of a problem in this situation :glare: Closest we know is that it would be from a 2004ish Pontiac GTO.

I found the right part on Summit (linky), but it's $50 shipping for a $30 pulley, so that's a bit silly.

So anyone know where I can either go to with a Dayco number or just tell them the model and year?

For now the wonky pulley will do for putting around the workshop, but it'll definitely need fixing before Ladoga.

That for that Luke, that seems interesting.

A bit of a problem though, they seem to list the wrong part? They say the 89059 for the 2004+ GTO, but as far as I can find that's the wrong part and won't fit on the later models, and it should be the 89159, which doesn't seem to be on their site?

I'll try sending them an e-mail.

I haven't bought road car parts for a long time, we used to have speed spares in leatherhead, I gather they moved to

Ewell when the estate they were on was knocked down.

Tony Dixon's Gasoline Alley, near one of the junctions on the motorway to Folkstone, open late into the night and often full of people from the wrong side of the channel;-)

American Autoparts in Burgh Heath

Custom Maid in Ilford

John Wolf Racing in Bedford

Rodely Motors in Bradford

Gary's Shack, was it in Wandsworth?

There were quite a few people selling parts from there houses round south london, a bloke in

Dulwhich[dog kennel hill?] used to have a large van and go to car shows selling parts. I would guess there were people in Essex doing the same.

+all the people who work on yank stuff, and anything to do with drag racing they usualy had parts catalogs and regular deliveries. Geoff Hauser got a regular delivery and could get anything, probably the same with Andy Robinson and I think Nick Davies [iCE automotive].

I bought a lot of stuff from summit, but used to buy a few hundred quids worth at

a time and have it air freighted, it always worked out far cheaper than buying off

the shelf over here, but I used to go to heathrow and do my own customs clearance.

I also bought from smaller autoparts places, usually because they had some

secondhand parts in national dragster and I would buy something and then buy

some new parts.

You could try getting a forum member from the states to send you the part, if you stuff it into a flat rate box they are cheap to post.

If you can find a smaller dealer in the USA they could ship it for not a lot. I've been buying bits n bobs for mine and getting them sent across. Working out cheaper than using US Automotive.

G