Rippling primer

dailysleaze

Forgive the amateurish attempt, but i'm trying different methods/paints to see what works to patch up rusty bits and to learn from my mistakes. I've come across the filler primer rippling like a skin on rice pudding. Does anyone know what speciifcally causes this?

post-18025-0-09749100-1330277629_thumb.jpg

It's 3 coats of Halfords filler primer over no1 rust beater and some filler. I sanded slightly and degreased before spraying

To be honest I wanted to see what happened and see how it goes with what I had at hand. I can always go back to metal and start again.

Looks as though you could have put on too much paint too quickly.

Can't see too well, but looks as though the top coat has dried out over the previous

coat(s) before it/they had gone off.

Try putting on the first coat "light and dry" and let it go off before reapplying.

I tend to take the view that filler has no place on a Land Rover, they wear dents and scrapes with style, and filler leads to cracking if the panel flexes etc, water in the cracks helping corrosion underneath the surface... brush it back to clean, kill the rust and then hit it with some industrial-strength zinc-rich primer or similar. If you want a shiny finish after that, sand it down & give it a top-coat.

This also looks like it could be reaction between the different paint bases ... not all paints were born equal (cellulous, acryllic, 2pack, water etc) and if you put one over another you can get reactions like this - easy way to avoid it without going into detail is to try sticking to a single brand for primer base coat etc

it looks like you're getting a reaction , did you use acid etch primer or normal primer, if it's alloy you're spraying you need etch if there's any bare metal

You'll never get good results spraying in this weather , wait a couple of months until it warms up a bit

it looks like you're getting a reaction , did you use acid etch primer or normal primer, if it's alloy you're spraying you need etch if there's any bare metal

Most of the rippling is around where the filler is, but there are slight bits elsewhere. There was no bare metal and the primer is Halfords filler primer.

You'll never get good results spraying in this weather , wait a couple of months until it warms up a bit

I think that can be said of most LR jobs!