Swivel seals - one wet one dry !

Coo

Hi,

1996 Discovery 300Tdi 126,000 miles

First land rover of any kind, and would appreciate some advice please.

Swivel joint things need attention, ones wet and leaked grease, the others very dry and has some rust forming.

Pics:

23t3134.jpgsvkne1.jpg

From your experience will I just get away with a seal kit?

Is there any other jobs that would be better getting done when these are apart ?

thanks

It'll just be leaking because the seal is shot. Get a seal kit that includes one shot grease.

I wouldn't bother messing about changing anything else. You'll need to disconnect the brake line, undo the steering arms and the undo the bolts that hold the hub assy to the axle casing. These will be f**king tight! Pull out the hub and half shaft, undo the 6mm bolts that hold the metal plate on securing the swivel seal and change the seal. Reverse process to re-fit (remembering to re-bleed the brakes!).

Its a relatively easy job, get a haynes manual or workshop manual and follow the instructions and you'll be fine. I think les henson has maybe done a write up on this?

As for the side that is dry for the moment I would just check to ensure it is full of grease (there is a square plug on the hub) re-fill with one-shot if needs be. So maybe get two tubes of one-shot.

Good luck!

Tom

On the dry side, the swivel is completly shot, it needs replacing.

Wipe the other one clean and I'd expect to find that one badly pitted as well -no point just replacing the seal in either case, the one shot will just come out again after the rust knackers the seal.

I agree with Bowie, if you want to solve the problem properly, you will need to replace the swivel hub as well as the seal. You will have leaks returning pretty quickly otherwise.

Both swivel balls look shot to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the dry side is actually empty, as the corrosion on it is bad enough to make that side leak as well. If that's the case, then the whole hub assembly might well need rebuilding (ball, seal, swivel bearings, and maybe cv joint as well). If you are just going to replace the seals and refill with grease, then the rust will abrade the lip of the new seal away and it'll be leaking again before very long. If you don't split the new seal to fit it - then you'll have to unbolt the ball from the axle tube regardless as the seal won't fit over the ball from the ouitside (diameter is too small).

Les.

Ahh, more expense...better doing it once though rather than seals and then have to replace again.

Sorry for late reply, not posted enough yet so wondered when this would be approved!

I'll let you know how I get on, may have to wait until end of month.... Many thanks :)

It's not as hard as it looks Coo. Just dont rush it. As soon as I saw the finishing line that was when I started making mistakes. Also make sure you have everything you need. Mines taken longer cos I have to keep waiting for parts to arrive that I didnt realise that I needed. Check your discs and think about changing them while its all apart. They are quite cheap.