2 post ramps pukka or pants

garymorris

Hello

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 2 post single phase 2.5 ton ramp/lift , it's the screw type with brass nuts on the top and a chain drive inside the basefrom one pillar across to the other .

I've been talking to a mechanic today who I'm doing a job for and he's convinced the ramp is pants ,will not lift a land rover and will be a complete waste of time (in his opinion)

So what I'm saying is has anybody got a similar ramp that they use for working on there land rover/4x4 or had any experience of them ?

I'll be using the ramp for my hobby and not everyday like in a 'garage enviroment'

Cheers

Gary

It depend on the quality of the ramp and its condition.

I have no problems with my very old bradbury 2 poster, whereas our newer bradbury struggles with poor leg configuration and actual lifting strength. Another of our ramps is an italian sourou? This wont touch anything but the smallest 4x4s.

All the above are screw type, 2.5t ramps

Your ramps suitabilty has more to do with its leg configuration than anything else.

Our two post, although slow as hell lifts, my 110 with ease. I forget which make, Hoffner/Heffner??/ Its rated at 3 tonnes. The legs are really too deep to get under lowered cars so we have four bits of 2x4 which we have to use on these which is a pain in the backside. I really wish the legs were different but it's in, paid for and for the amount we use it we've got used to this annoying design

Hofman?

I have just bought a 3.2ton 2 post istobal but i havnt got it wired in yet so cant comment on its suitability.

Dan/zoltan can you expand on leg configuration?

Will.

I think the problem is just that 2 posts look scary when lifting something big. However they are just as safe as a 4 post if used correctly.

I think, what the mechanic was actually saying is "I don't like the look of 2 post lifts" not that yours is bad.

Si

Hofman?

I have just bought a 3.2ton 2 post istobal but i havnt got it wired in yet so cant comment on its suitability.

Dan/zoltan can you expand on leg configuration?

Will.

They're both hinged from the post each side and since the two posts are joined together across the floor with a chain in a covered channel, the two legs each side sit above this channel so about 60mm off the floor. The legs are initially a box section steel of about 75x100mm then probably 60x80 inside that and finally solid 30x70? with the screw threaded pads in. This all means that the lowest that you can get the pads is about 100mm off the deck and than the biggest section of box gets right in the way of the sills on most cars. Try to put some chav chariot on with skirts and lowered and it is a real pain in the backside. Hence the bits of 2 by 4. Thankfully we don't have that clientele any longer

For a Land Rover no problem but lowered stuff, a bad design. Very slow lift but it does handle the 110 weight without complaining. It's not that big a pain in the backside that I want to go out and spend a couple of grand plus on another one.

I'd rather have the two post lift anyday over a four post but we were doing a lot of brake kit installs so we wanted to get in to the wheel arches and a four post would be much more awkward

Our concrete floor is quite thick so I haven't had too many nightmares about the floor bolts being marginal with heavy vehicles on

I think the problem is just that 2 posts look scary when lifting something big. However they are just as safe as a 4 post if used correctly.

I think, what the mechanic was actually saying is "I don't like the look of 2 post lifts" not that yours is bad.

Si

Si ,

He was saying because the ramp I've bought is a single phase motor and is chain drive, say I lift a land rover off the deck 12" and stop and then try to lift again the ramp will blow a trip shortly followed by the world ending. :(

I pointed out that the ramp is rated 2500kgs and that a disco /110 is about 2000 kgs(according to Haynes book of lies) then I have approx 500kgs spare and also most/all lifting devices have a high safety factor :huh: .

Your thoughts folks :closedeyes:

Cheers

Gary

It depend on the quality of the ramp and its condition.

I have no problems with my very old bradbury 2 poster, whereas our newer bradbury struggles with poor leg configuration and actual lifting strength. Another of our ramps is an italian sourou? This wont touch anything but the smallest 4x4s.

All the above are screw type, 2.5t ramps

Your ramps suitabilty has more to do with its leg configuration than anything else.

Dan

are your ramps single or three phase ?

I'll check on the manufacturer of mine tomorrow and I'll take a photo with my phone to see if anybody is using the same one

Cheers

Gary

Surely there is no difference as far as the loading on the motor is concerned where its lifting range it starts from? I presume it has a lead screw linked by chains with a geared motor driving one of the lead screws. Whether it is lifting from the floor or starting from 12" the manufacturers must have specc'ed a big enough motor or arranged enough torque multiplication from the belts to restart. Was it originally single phase?

Our two post, although slow as hell lifts, my 110 with ease. I forget which make, Hoffner/Heffner??/ Its rated at 3 tonnes. The legs are really too deep to get under lowered cars so we have four bits of 2x4 which we have to use on these which is a pain in the backside. I really wish the legs were different but it's in, paid for and for the amount we use it we've got used to this annoying design

Zoltan

I'm not too worried about lifting cars really although I might lift our golf up occasionally if I have to :blush: the ramp is really/mainly for doing my land rovers :i-m_so_happy: .

Cheers

Gary

Zoltan

I agree 100% with what your saying but once somebody casts doubt in your mind it's a could idea to get a second/forum opinion .

I didn't want to fit the ramp in my garage to find out that it's pants :(

And yes it was originally single phase

Judging by the replies so far I think I'll fit the ramp and give it a whirl :rolleyes:

Are your ramps three phase or single ?

Thanks

Gary

By leg configuration, i mean the open and closed lengths of the legs and the angle the legs swing to.

Landrovers especially 90's are unusually difficult to send up safely on a 2 poster, this i mainly due to the stupid suspension brackets that hang below the bottom of the chassis.

I normally send coilers up with the rear pads on the rear radius arm chassis mounts, and the front pads with a 2" extension onto the front inner corner of the gearbox cross member chassis bracket. Any closer together than this and i get a bit nervous.

Thanks for that. As i have 2 90's is it worth fabbing some type of saddles to replace the pads?

I was looking at it the other day and wondering how high the bumtwitchometer would get with a 90 on it.

Will.

He was saying because the ramp I've bought is a single phase motor and is chain drive, say I lift a land rover off the deck 12" and stop and then try to lift again the ramp will blow a trip shortly followed by the world ending. :(

One of our old ramps doesn't like restarting the lift with anything heavy on it, it doesn't trip out it just stalls, but it has been up and down a few times :-)

Dan

are your ramps single or three phase ?

I'll check on the manufacturer of mine tomorrow and I'll take a photo with my phone to see if anybody is using the same one

Cheers

Gary

All ours are three phase.

Single or three phase makes no odds. Mine is three phase running from a phase converter from 230v. It's motor is only 2hp - so 1.5kw which is well within the capability of a 13A 230v domestic socket.

While 3 phase can deliver high power - it doesn't necessarily follow that because something is normally three phase it needs a lot of power.

As I said before, his opinion (in this case that it will stall) is based on his experience of another ramp.

Si

TBH if you find it does stall on restart can you not just swap the motor out for a larger one? Might not even need to be a larger motor, not all motors are born equal and different types have different starting characteristics.

Guys,

I can get my hands on a 2 poster 3ton ramp. Its 5 years old but the PCB is broken. Would this be worth much in its current condition? I don’t know how to fix it but could get it cheap for me or someone.

Ant could probably help you with that being a electrical engineer, even if he does wear a suit to work. I'm guessing the control board for a ramp isn't that complicated.