How much grease in swivel ball?

Hi guys

Done a search but can't find the info. How much grease do I put in the swivel balls and will Wynn's Marine bearing grease do (I have quite a bit). I struggle to source Oneshot here in South Africa and I need to complete the job tonight.

Will appreciate the info.

The one shot stuff is what is known as "thixotropic grease" which is gelatinous or viscose when stationary but becomes liquid when agitated or moved (same as Tomato Ketchup). There are plenty of greases with thixotropic properties these days as they are so ideal for sealed mechanisms. As the seals start to wear, the stationary viscosity keeps the grease inside.

If your marine bearing grease is thixotropic, it will likely be fine. If not - don't use it - because the top bearing is splash lubricated. Grease that stays viscose, does not splash and the top bearing will dry out.

I saw a good demo of this at a show. It was in a transparent box - several cm thick at the bottom. The box was rotated so the grease was now stuck to the ceiling of the box and just sticking with almost no drips. They then bashed the top of the box which caused all the grease stuck to the ceiling to become liquid at the same instant - and suddenly drop to the floor. wait for it to re-solidify and repeat.

Many of the 'miracle' lubricants are based on this.

Si

The one shot stuff is what is known as "thixotropic grease" which is gelatinous or viscose when stationary but becomes liquid when agitated or moved (same as Tomato Ketchup). There are plenty of greases with thixotropic properties these days as they are so ideal for sealed mechanisms. As the seals start to wear, the stationary viscosity keeps the grease inside.

If your marine bearing grease is thixotropic, it will likely be fine. If not - don't use it - because the top bearing is splash lubricated. Grease that stays viscose, does not splash and the top bearing will dry out.

I saw a good demo of this at a show. It was in a transparent box - several cm thick at the bottom. The box was rotated so the grease was now stuck to the ceiling of the box and just sticking with almost no drips. They then bashed the top of the box which caused all the grease stuck to the ceiling to become liquid at the same instant - and suddenly drop to the floor. wait for it to re-solidify and repeat.

Many of the 'miracle' lubricants are based on this.

Si

Like quick sand :blink:

I have never used that mix but it could be useful if you were over-landing and ran out of food! :hysterical:

Just make sure you don't mistakenly eat the one shot ...... or you'll end up running to the bathroom for more than one sh....

I'll get my coat :)

Custard and corn flour are acting the opposite of one shot, aren't they?

They are yes in that they're solid if you hit them with impact but viscous under vibration (just like quicksand as someone mentioned - these are thixotropic fluids or as Paddy mentioned non-Newtonian fluids. Si mentioned "Thixotropic Grease" which doesn't seem to me to be directly thixotropic but a grease which when there is no vibrations/movement is stiff but like thixotropic fluids becomes more viscous with vibration. Either way one-shot has to be non-Newtonian by it's very nature. Maybe its grease mixed with Cornflour! Anyone fancy trying that as amn experiment an updating us with their findings................

There is a type of flexible armour based on this principle. Normally it's fluid and flexible but turns solid momentarily as a shock wave passes through it, distributing the force over a larger area. It has been used in hard hats and bullet-proof clothing. I believe you can make something similar out of play-dough, water and cornflour.

Si