Freelander manual wanted on PDF

Ryan

I currently have Rave, which is fine and dandy on my PC, but I'd like to be able to have something I can view on my Android tablet which is slightly more portable. Does anyone have, or does anyone know of a complete workshop manual for the Freelander 1 in PDF format? I've searched on Google but seem to go round in circles vistiing the same websites that either don't have the Freelander listed, or only have Rave.

As an aside, does anyone know if it is possible to convert Rave to work on the latest Acrobat Reader?

Only on RAVE AFAIK, never seen another version for Freelanders.

RAVE should run offf the disc regardless of any other Acrobat reader version installed, or just copy it to a folder on your PC. then you don't need the CD.works for me on my desktop PC.

Printing to PDF is probably your best bet, altough you'd lose the bookmarks etc, which would suck.

Behind the scenes the RAVE is already in PDF, so have a look through the files and see if you can open any of them. I haven't tried in a while.

Thanks guys, but CutePDF doesn't work - Adobe just has an error if you try to open the resulting file. Looks like I'm stuck with printing off the pages I need.

I downloaded a tool called FreeRave (I tried attaching the .rar file to this message, but the forum doesn't allow them as attachments)

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I got the tool from an Argentinian Land Rover Owners forum called 'LandRoverTec' - which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Here's what the originator posted -

RAVE

Years ago the Rover group launched RAVE, the digital technical information system for its vehicles. RAVE is a series of CDs covering different lines and models providing basically

• Workshop Manuals
  • Overhaul Manuals
  • Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals
  • PDI and Maintenance Manuals
  • Repair Times Manuals
  • Technical Brochures
  • Special Service Tools Catalogs

RAVE runs on Windows (95, 98, NT, 2000, XT, Vista). The information is contained on encrypted PDF files using a security system. The security schema allows the display of the files only within certain dates, it does not allow to open the PDFs directly with the Acrobat reader, instead, it comes with a wrapper application (Rave.exe or TData.exe) that launches an old Acrobat reader 4.0 contained on every CD. If we would like to see the PDF files with our already installed Acrobat 7, 8, 9.. we'll fail, if we would like to see the files on a Mac we will also fail.

All the things we are mentioning here make the perfect scenario for a obsolescence case where soon or later the Rave.exe or the required Acrobat 4.0 will not work any longer...

The attached file (FreeRave_1.36.rar) when installed allows to convert the RAVE PDF files one by one or the whole CD with a mouse click.

So far the conversion works on RAVE LR (English & Spanish) Rave Rover, Rave MG and Rave Mini.

Instructions:

1. Copy the whole content of any RAVE CD to a temp directory i.e. C:\RAVETEMP\
  2. Delete the directory Acrobat4 from C:\RAVETEMP\
  3. Extract the content of the file FreeRave_1.36.rar to C:\RAVETEMP\ replacing the erased directory.
  4. Start Rave normally from C:\RAVETEMP\Rave.exe or C:\RAVETEMP\TData.exe
  5. You'll see 2 padlock icons (if the Tool Bar does not show up press F9):
    a) Padlock Blue: Available if current file has protection, allows to remove it and save.
    b) Padlock Yellow: Only available when browsing the initial file (Welcome.pdf or Rave-rc.pdf) This action will process the whole RAVE structure. The process takes about 10 minutes every 300 Megs on a Intel core 2 duo 2Ghz, it cannot be stopped, it is cpu intensive, Acrobat's screen might not be refreshed correctly while running. The file C:\RAVETEMP\ProcFiles.log keeps record of the process

When the process is done the PDF files can be viewed with a regular Acrobat Reader even on MAC. Exe files and the Acrobat4 directory are not needed any longer and can be erased. The PDF files are converted to PDF version 1.3 that means they can be opened from Acrobat 4.0 +.

If you need a copy of RAVE -

I've zipped and uploaded a couple of editions of RAVE to Extabit (for some reason, Extabit wouldn't let me upload FreeRave_1.36.rar), the .zip files are here -

DII TD5 & V8 (Pre-Facelift), Range Rover P38, Freelander 1 (up to 2001), Defender 300Tdi, V8i and TD5 (1999-2001) - RAVE_2001.zip

DII TD5 & V8 (Post-Facelift), Freelander 1 (2001 onwards) - RAVE_2003.zip

You don't need a Premium Account to download them, you can do it for free, if you look down the page, under the PayPal logo, you'll find the link to the free download -

"I have no money, I want download for free"

The .zip archives, will unpack to a folder called RAVE_2001 and RAVE_2003 respectively, from which you can run RAVE, by double-clicking the RAVE.exe file.