Radiator re-core or replace

C18RCH

My radiator has a bit of fin rot but is otherwise in good condition. Do I get it re-cored or buy a new radiator?

If re-core then where and how much does it usually cost?

As a replacement I've seen these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290647381130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone else fitted one or have any opinions on them?

I'm on a fairly tight budget now as a result of the rest of the rebuild so cost is an issue.

Those ebay ones have plastic side tanks ( I emailed the seller a while ago to ask). In my opinion it would be worth getting a re-core to keep the brass tanks you probably have on your current rad. I cant beleive that the use of plastic for this application is a good move (it lowers cost, but i;ve had one fail on a BMW and it wrecked the engine - i dont think a brass tank would have been anywhere near as likely to split like the plastic one did).

I went for re-core. Used my existing metal tanks and has the fins made deeper and more widely spaced to make it easier to clean after being dunked in the mud. Still cost less that a new OEM rad.

If I was to buy new, I would give Bearmach a call. Have fitted a couple to other 300tdis without issues...

I replaced, luckily with brass tanked replacement, as time was tight but the replacement had both the inlet and outlet in slightly different positions necessitating chopping way at the fan shroud slightly. Not ideal

Re-core!

I replaced, luckily with brass tanked replacement, as time was tight but the replacement had both the inlet and outlet in slightly different positions necessitating chopping way at the fan shroud slightly. Not ideal

Re-core!

I agree, had the same problem with my RRC last year & could kick myself for not keeping the original rad. Too late now though.

If you can, get a BSP boss fitted in the bottom of a tank, fit a quarter turn drain tap. I had a rad like this, before the fan fell off and chewed it, it made it easy to drain for any engine work or antifuzz change. Easy on a series with top and bottom tanks and sitting behind the crossmember - don't know how a RR one sits beyond side tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I posted this yeterday but it seems to have dissapeared, anyway:

Any suggestions of where from prefereably near Sheffield and how much it might cost?

Cheers,

Rich

There's a company on Attercliffe called Autorads. I've had a 300TDi rad done there before and was impressed, at the time it cost £99 + VAT, but they cleaned my intercooler out for a tenner too.

Would I go back?

Yes.

I'm going to have a 200TDi rad done before I drop it into my Series. They charge £108 + VAT now..

As far as I know they use OEM cores too, far better than the chinese carp.