Fitting +5 shocks

I have +5 terrafirma shocks and +2 terrafirma springs with extended bump stops and gwyn lewis shock mounts, my shocks still bottom out before the axle hit the bumpstops. I've not had any problems with damaging the shocks in 18months of use, apparently the TF shocks have inbuilt bumpstops to prevent damage.

Harry

I have +5 terrafirma shocks and +2 terrafirma springs with extended bump stops and gwyn lewis shock mounts, my shocks still bottom out before the axle hit the bumpstops. I've not had any problems with damaging the shocks in 18months of use, apparently the TF shocks have inbuilt bumpstops to prevent damage.

Harry

Really don't have any shock bottoming out before hitting the bumps, this is bad news. I completely destroyed in side of 3 days two new TF +5 shocks (which where on the front axle) one year doing the TAT all because the shocks bottomed out first.

Ok this does involve a week driving down tracks even faster and rougher than this monkey http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=75441&pid=646203&st=0entry646203

But after changing the setup so that the shock didn't bottom out i my current TF's have lasted 2 years of much the same treatment..

@ moose: Sorry, they don't bottom out on the front, only on the rears.

Next time i'm in the workshop I may remove the springs on the back and have a play with the forklift, it could be just that the spring doesn't compress any more due to a light back end and medium duty springs...I just presumed it was the shocks bottoming out.

@ mike c: i do have a lot of droop and not much upward travel, as above it could be that my springs are too firm and preventing any more travel

I'll let you guys know how i get on with the forklift.

Harry

it could be just that the spring doesn't compress any more due to a light back end and medium duty springs...

This is most likely, but playing with the forklift still may not give you all the flex you can, running over speed bumps at speed is a good way to see whether your suspesnsion hits hte bumps, I bet they do.

My springs are far too firm to make the springs hit the bumpstops over speedbumps...no matter how fast I try to go!

I think by removing the rear springs and then lifting one wheel with the forklift I should be able to check, there should be very little resistance other than bushes, a-frame ball joint and shocks to prevent it doing so. I'll let you know how I get on.

Harry

Harry

With the +2 springs you might find the spring will fully compress and act as a bumpstops before the axle hits the bumpstops.

I find it odd that your shocks are bottoming out. With the gywn lewis mounts they shouldnt. I used to have standard height front springs on the rear with gywn mounts and +5 terrafirma shocks. My 235/85 insa's used to hit the underside of the tub before the shock were near bottoming out....