I just got myself a Pillar drill what else have I been missing out on?

Picked up a bargain from the bay of e, a single phase 2HP pillar drill for £20, really nice bit of kit since buying it on Wednesday I must have used it 30+ times.

why didn't I get one sooner? it makes things a lot simpler than with a hand drill and has a lot more grunt for getting through thick metal.

So what else have I been missing out on? I thought I had a fairly well stocked workshop but what other tools should I have that make life easier? what would you not be without?

Jason.

milling machine, lathe, welder, and so on. The list can be endless. I dream of a cnc plasma cutter and a folder......

I have a Mig and a Arc so OK on the welder front, whilst a CNC plasma or water jet cutter and folder would be great I don't have a factory!! Did fancy a plasma cutter but again not sue if I would use it? Was looking at what little (ish) tools I have never had that I should have.

Jason.

I watched the entire series of American Hot rod, and came to the conclusion I needed more than a grinder, hammer and vice :)

I recently bought a Sealey electric DA sander - way better and faster than orbital sanders for prepping a car, and then bought a big Compair compressor. Can't believe I've put off buying a compressor all these years, been mega useful and it's already paid for itself in the first week as I've been able to spray my car rather than farm it out.

I want a folder next, and then a big swage roller for making panels and repair pieces, and then a hydraulic press.

Im quite lucky, got free run of our workshop when I need it (even though i work on site), we have got a couple of benders, rollers, gullotine, hydraulic press, cnc plasma cutter, mig, tig (I cant tig weld though) 4 poster ramp and other less interesting machinery.

A folder is handy

So what type of folder are we talking about, a full hydrochloric press brake or one of those little jobbies from Sealey that you stick in a vice?

I watched the entire series of American Hot rod, and came to the conclusion I needed more than a grinder, hammer and vice :)

I recently bought a Sealey electric DA sander - way better and faster than orbital sanders for prepping a car, and then bought a big Compair compressor. Can't believe I've put off buying a compressor all these years, been mega useful and it's already paid for itself in the first week as I've been able to spray my car rather than farm it out.

I want a folder next, and then a big swage roller for making panels and repair pieces, and then a hydraulic press.

That's the problem, I don't have a the space, money or justification to buy every tool out there I just can't believe that I haven't owned a pillar drill before, given their priced/size etc, the big issue is buying these things and they becoming more of a pain to use as they just get in the way and you only use them once in a blue moon.

an air riveter! Fantastic piece of kit.

I have one of those Mark, it made repetitive riveting a lot easier and saved my hands from that moment the rivet lets go and your cold hands smash together!!

Im quite lucky, got free run of our workshop when I need it (even though i work on site), we have got a couple of benders, rollers, gullotine, hydraulic press, cnc plasma cutter, mig, tig (I cant tig weld though) 4 poster ramp and other less interesting machinery.

I would love a ramp but just don't have the space, have even looked at putting something outside but Mrs S would never sanction that!!

Jason.

Did fancy a plasma cutter but again not sue if I would use it?

...yet you've used the pillar drill 30 times in three days......you'd use it, trust me!! Brother has one which we were using years ago, found no end of uses for it. Once the upheaval with Kettle has all settled down, I have a small inheritance that came out of the blue which I said would be for the workshop. Frosts have one I thought it would stretch too. Believe me, the number of times I've cursed not having access to one still!

...yet you've used the pillar drill 30 times in three days......you'd use it, trust me!! Brother has one which we were using years ago, found no end of uses for it. Once the upheaval with Kettle has all settled down, I have a small inheritance that came out of the blue which I said would be for the workshop. Frosts have one I thought it would stretch too. Believe me, the number of times I've cursed not having access to one still!

In the middle of building my rear storage project which probably adds to the use of the drill at the moment!! For cutting I currently use the angle grinder with a 1mm disk or a jig saw, may have to look into them further!!!

Thanks, Jason.

Yes a remorgage for a decent one, we have the Wurth ones which are just rebadged Gesipa ones, easily pull ali steel and Momo rivets, batteries last for about 1000 rivets , 30 min recharge.

Make sure you are sitting down before you open the link :o

http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/productrange/details.asp?product=powerbird_battery_powered_riveting_tool_li_ion_35_29

http://www.rivetwise.co.uk/productrange/tools.asp?section=battery_powered_riveting_tools_35

Kind of depends what you want to do, the pillar drill is great as it get used for both metalwork and woodwork. Would you say primarily it's metalwork you want to be tooled up for?

I'd get yourself a drill vice if you haven't already, save you losing some fingers when the pillar drill snatches a piece of metal you have been hand holding.....

Do you have a bench grinder? Amazing how much nicer it is using tools that are sharp, getting yourself one of those little drill sharpening jigs that you use with a bench grinder is also handy ..... I know there will now be loads of people saying how easy hand sharpening is but if you don't sharpen drills a lot a jig really helps.

One tool that I use a lot is a small 4" x 6" horizontal bandsaw, great for cutting bar stock, angle etc..... and it is quiet :) However I would think it would be down the line a bit on your list .......

Jason. I've bought an Evolution saw for cuttong alli sheet. Haven't tried it yet. Lookes better than the jig saw.

I wouldn't be without my shop saw. Makes cutting to length and angle corners a doddle.

Mike, I have a table saw and a chop saw brought a metal blade for them a while ago, which is great for chopping and cutting, use the Jig saw when I can't take the job to the saw!! Haven't tried the Evolution saw though, will take a look.

Cheers, Jason.

Kind of depends what you want to do, the pillar drill is great as it get used for both metalwork and woodwork. Would you say primarily it's metalwork you want to be tooled up for?

I want to be able to use most things for both, but yes mostly metalwork at the moment.

I'd get yourself a drill vice if you haven't already, save you losing some fingers when the pillar drill snatches a piece of metal you have been hand holding.....

Thanks Barry, it came with two drill vices and a wooden clamping run off system which is why I was very happy with my £20 spend.

Do you have a bench grinder? Amazing how much nicer it is using tools that are sharp, getting yourself one of those little drill sharpening jigs that you use with a bench grinder is also handy ..... I know there will now be loads of people saying how easy hand sharpening is but if you don't sharpen drills a lot a jig really helps.

Yes have a bench grinder, after the struggle we had the other week considered a drill sharpner but to be honest I just buy new drill bits, :blush: I should really learn how to sharpen the old ones!!

One tool that I use a lot is a small 4" x 6" horizontal bandsaw, great for cutting bar stock, angle etc..... and it is quiet :) However I would think it would be down the line a bit on your list .......

I have been looking at bandsaws (both types) and when one comes up at the right price in the correct location I will go for it, I am also considering a Lathe but having never used one since school (25 years ago) not sure where I would start and what I would need.

The pillar drill is like the first time a few years ago I discovered flap disks, something that changed my abilities and made life easier but unless you have used them or are in the metalwork trade just don't have a clue how much easier it makes things.

Jason.

Thanks for the warning fozsug. I don't think I'll bother. I'll keep taking the exercise with the Lazy Tongs.

I'll add to the maching vice. Makes drilling easier. I only have a bench drill but what a difference to drilling. Now to get the 3metre X 100mm X 50mm X 6mm channel to that drill. on second thoughts the hand drill might be easier.

img04341p.th.jpg

I made this hinge using the chop saw and the belt sander.

A decent workshop vacuum cleaner. Especially if you do any woodwork with the pillar drill!

Other than that, if you're doing a lot of work on Landies....a decent flare-nut spanner set and a 3/4" socket set. Amazing how many otherwise-stuck fasteners yield to the 3/4" breaker-bar.

As you have a compressor, get yourself a £15-ebay special rattle gun. A lot of people may sneer, but it will undo 80% of all the bolts a pro-job will do, and won't half save you spannering-time. Also, even a cheapie will subject the nut to more hammer-blows per second than you could ever muster.

If you're doing mainly fabrication work, then as has been said, a metal cutting chop saw.

I covet a lathe, for the same reasons you have the pillar drill....once you have one you wonder how you managed without one. They do take up a looooot of room though.

Be careful with a vacuum cleaner. Mine dies a few weeks ago. So off to town returning with a little Dirt Devil. I didn't get the oportunity to open the box. My wife did. Well it does see the workshop occasionally but it's kept in the house for some reason. Mind you it's brilliant at vacumming the alli chippind and the swarf from the drill.

I forgot to add my fav tools to my previous post.....

Love my air riviter, it made short work of fitting the new floor in The 109, and also the tyre inflator....knees ache doing 7.50's! For your bench drill, look out for a mole-grip clamp for it, love mine, but I've had it years and don't know where it came from so no linky. It's basically half a molegrip, with a little swinging pad on the end to clamp jobs to the table. The other half of the mole grip is replaced by a flange, and a stud whick passes through the slots in the table and has a wing nut underneath. Very quick to use, and can hold larger flat plates that a vice can't hold. If anyone finds a link, I'd like another one!!

The 6" bench grinder is very handy, but an 8" would be better with a wire brush to fit - good for doing bolts and things. A drill sharpening attachment isn't expensive, and generally goes up to 3/4" capacity.

1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 socket sets get regular use. You can get bending jaws for you bench vise, rather than going the whole hog of a pressbrake, depending on what work you do. I think Warco make a set. My 20T hydraulic press gets frequent use too. For small brackets I use a Zeus Bender, very handy piece of kit, but only goes up to 2" wide unfortunatly. Typically, I can't currently find a link for it...I'm sure thats the right name...I'll have to dig it out...

Step drill and Cone drill? Or Q-Max sheet metal punches are better when working with thin materials, thinks like switch holes or accesory socket holes. I also have a £35 hydraulic hand crimper for up to 120mm2 cables, which has sure earn't its keep.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, and thats without going into the proper workshop where I've got my Lathes, Mill......

It's basically half a molegrip, with a little swinging pad on the end to clamp jobs to the table. The other half of the mole grip is replaced by a flange, and a stud whick passes through the slots in the table and has a wing nut underneath. Very quick to use, and can hold larger flat plates that a vice can't hold. If anyone finds a link, I'd like another one!!

Here you go

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-drill-clamps-prod23568/

910259_xl.jpg

A decent workshop vacuum cleaner. Especially if you do any woodwork with the pillar drill!

Been on the lookout for a decent workshop Vac I saw a draper one the other day it went for £5 on eBay but I was in a meeting and missed out!!

Other than that, if you're doing a lot of work on Landies....a decent flare-nut spanner set and a 3/4" socket set. Amazing how many otherwise-stuck fasteners yield to the 3/4" breaker-bar.

Spanner wise, I think I am OK, just brought some new big ones.

As you have a compressor, get yourself a £15-ebay special rattle gun. A lot of people may sneer, but it will undo 80% of all the bolts a pro-job will do, and won't half save you spannering-time. Also, even a cheapie will subject the nut to more hammer-blows per second than you could ever muster.

I have a battery rattle gun, it's only a cheap one but is great especially on repetitive jobs.

I covet a lathe, for the same reasons you have the pillar drill....once you have one you wonder how you managed without one. They do take up a looooot of room though.

I do think a lathe would be great but as I said above as I have never used one so not sure what results I would get from it, and if I could give up the space!!

Jason.