A new slant on solid discs

coachman

post-36830-0-33284100-1333967863_thumb.jpgA happy easter to all ,I thought I would share my latest `dicscovery` with you . I am in the process of ongoing work to my Discovery 300tdi and needed to remove the rear wheel to look under the wheel arch and found this ( as picture ) . It is not poor maitanance on my behalf ,I have only had the car a few weeks ,it is more like the previous owner was ripped of by her garage servicing ,I have the receipts from the previous services .moree to follow .Coachman .

post-36830-0-87479700-1333968070_thumb.jpg

Do you mean the state of the disc?... I put a dsco axle on my 90 before Christmas, and I use it quite regulary. I had the wheels off the rear the other week and I was quite suprised at how rusty the rear discs where especially compared to the front that looked like polished CD's as expected. The only think I could put it down to was the bias, meaning Land Rovers have a high than usual front bias to stop the rear end locking up, even though the rear discs where a bit rusty I've not found any less braking effort.

Calipers get a lot of road and salt abuse, I've not found a set that didn't look like that.

Mav

Is the wet appearence leaking brake fluid, or brake cleaner?

My rear discs were the worst I had ever seen, very badly pitted and scored. Pity I didn't take a picture before I changed them.

Have you checked your air filter yet?

Mmmmm! looks like a sticking piston on inside as that pad hardly looks touched, the anti-rattle springs are knackered also, and you need to find out where that liquid is coming from PDQ.

I've seen a lot worse discs, but unknown what the inner face is like.

On my 90 the rears are pretty shiny - it is my daily driver though and the rear calipers were rebuilt with stainless pistons so should be relatively trouble free (I hope).

I have noticed though that they are never quite as good as the fronts, unless I have been towing at which point they seem to clean themselves right up...

It looks to me like the outboard pad is either worn away because its piston is seized, rather than the inboard piston being seized, or that its friction lining has broken away. Its wear pattern on the disc suggests the latter as the polished section doesn't look scored from metal contact and the rusted section is free of scratches from the pad's back plate.

Without seeing it in the flesh to check the depth of the corrosion on the face of the disc or any wear lip between the polished and corroded sections, I can't be confident of any assessment over the serviceability of the disc, but personally I'd scrap it. Check the callipers and their pistons carefully (I recently put a calliper rebuild guide on my blog).

On my 90 the rears are pretty shiny - it is my daily driver though and the rear calipers were rebuilt with stainless pistons so should be relatively trouble free (I hope).

I have noticed though that they are never quite as good as the fronts, unless I have been towing at which point they seem to clean themselves right up...

The rear discs get the road spray from the front tyres, while the front brakes stay dryer while driving. That might be a factor too, but the braking balance will be the main factor - the pads and discs are fundamentally similar front and rear, but the rear callipers have half as many pistons and operate at reduced hydraulic pressure, so have much less than half the operating pressure. The rear pads are a little smaller in area, so the pad pressure on the is is probably about half that of the front pads...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello mon ami ,I thank you for your comments , it shows that people are interested . I replaced the front and rear disc pads and pins and shims with parts from Brookwells of Plymouth for less than £ 60.( for all four wheels ). The rear discs will need replacing soon but the general efficiency was good and everything worked ,even though the components looked bad . The oily look was my fault as I had soaked the caliper prior to trying to extract the bad bits ( and it worked )( diesel oil )then a good brush followed by cleaning with a brass brush ( from shoe shop ) and brake spray . I have now cut and fitted( bolted in place) my cills and floor but the generator to power the mig ( clarke 100e) is not big enough ( power wise ) and with no mains elecctric on site I am again stopped ,but I have a plan ) .The panels used are from YRM.(excellent)