Ball Joint Clamp

Does such a thing exist? If so what is it called.

I have many ball joint separators, but I have the problem when I put the balljoint back in again that when the nylon in the nyloc starts to bite, unless the ball joint is seated firmly, the stud will just spin.

I get over it using a G clamp to hold the ball in the seat. Am I doing it wrong or what do others do?

Cheers

Peter

I bought some Delphi TRE ball joints recently and they had an Allen key hole set in the end of the shaft onto which the nyloc tightens. That meant I could hold the shaft with the Allen key and do the bolt up with a spanner. Thought that was a good idea.

I've always sorted 'slippy' ball-joint tapers by tightening up with a non-nyloc nut then when it's nicely seated remove the nut and put the nyloc on and do the final torquing.

Only takes a few seconds, and works every time!

[Thought-for-the-day: I much preferred the days of ball-joints with a hole through the thread, castellated nuts, and split-pins/R-clips for locking]

--Tanuki