What grade oil would be best for this 300tdi

Hi everyone

My 300 tdi is due a service very soon and I wondered if there was a better grade oil more suited to my old 300tdi

My 300tdi engine has covered 180,000 and has had the fuel pump tuned / tweaks done !!

I normal use fully synthetic 10w 40

Is there be a better grade or type to use ??

Many thanks

Chris

I always consider oil to be like insurance, you get what you pay for and if you're putting in fully synthetic then you're putting in the best that there is. I use the same typre but obviously a different make due to my location

Are you saying because you have a tweeked engine you are looking for a higher performance oil? - maybe for some high revving petrol engines that could be an option but to be honest for rattley Land rover engines go for what is specified, different makes you could argue the quality is different but unless its uber cheap they will all have the same standard properties as they will be made to an international specification.

The oil that is matched to an engine is based on how the engine ultimately runs and the design tolerances when its cold and when its up to temperature, if you start to mess around with the oil "grade" then you could encounter problems e.g. excessive wear (to thin oil), difficult cold starting/engine overheating/oil filter problems (too thick oil)...

There is some tolerance to play with as During the super cold winter of 2010/11 I ran thinner oil in my 200tdi, it helped cold starting in sub -10 temperatures, but when summer came around she was quite rattley so I went back to recommended which quietened her up noticeably. And I've heard about people using slightly thicker engine oil on really old diesel's that have a lot of play in the engine rings etc..

Why are you looking? have you experienced a problem with what you’ve been using so far?

Mav

I use what is stated in the L/R Workshop manuals for the 200 TDI which is Total TIR Rubia which what they class as SHPD (Super high performance diesel) Oil, That's 15w40 and I get that from my local farmers wholesalers in 20 or 25 liter drums

HTH

John

I happily use 15W40 (non-synthetic) or often super universal tractor oil and change every 5000m. Much cheaper (especially in quantity) and just as good. IMHO I think the fully synthetics are developed for high performance/tolerance engines designed to have fewer oil changes (like every 20000 miles). However with a landrover or tractor engine (pre-edc) these engines are designed to work very hard in constant use but consequently need their fluid changed regularly - regularly being the key word. Tractors are a benchmark really when you consider the amount fo work those turbo diesels do say ploughing for instance - constant use pulling tonnes for hours at a time yet tractor engines never (rarely) break - they last forever all most. Why? Because farmers change their oil regulalry and also Super Universal Tractor Oil has the same specs - they have to take high EGT etc. I am a very string believer that diesel engines driven properly with regulalr oil/filter changes last a VERY long time. My old Citroen BX (old XUD-9TE engine) had 580000 miles on it before a vicar wrote it off.

FYI L/R workshop manual for 300tdi states (1997): Viscosity - 15W40. Spec. - RES.22.OL.PD-2 or CCMC PD-2 or API CD

Ziggy

That's kinda what I was think I do regular oil changes every 6 months which Is roughy 4000 miles for me

I am using 10w40 fully synthtic which I am starting to wonder if this is a waste on a 180000mile 300tdi ?

Also the reason I asked about the grade is fully synthetic 10w40 may be to advanced for the engine hence I might be cause more harm/ wear by using a to advanced oil

Think this time I will go for 15w40 part synthetic as it sounds more suitable for the engine ??

Many thanks for your replies

Chris