The heater control

Now, I usually have the heater control at 2 because nothing much comes out if I don't. On a coule of occasions, when moving the control up and down I did get a decent flow of air but it's usually mediocre.

I'm going to have to start fault finding now so that I can get it sorted for winter.

I wonder is it likely to be an electrical thing with the control itself and how can I test this theory ?

i saw something on ebay a couple of weeks back for the defender heater that altered the fan speeds so as to give better flow in the lower speeds, was £19.99, sure if you type landrover defender heater its one of the first things that come up. would post a link but i still havent figured out how to do it :blink:

i saw something on ebay a couple of weeks back for the defender heater that altered the fan speeds so as to give better flow in the lower speeds, was £19.99, sure if you type landrover defender heater its one of the first things that come up. would post a link but i still havent figured out how to do it :blink:

you are correct, I have one of those kits fitted to my 110, it increases the slow speed & gives more airflow, full speed is unchanged.

this kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-90-110-Def-heater-fan-speed-improvement-kit-/160822013690?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2571bd2efa#ht_500wt_1202 seller is a member on here too --- simonb :i-m_so_happy:

Before changing any parts, check that the intake-plenum thing on the passenger side wing isn't full of leaves/nutshells [yes, I've seen this in a Defender that had infrequent use: seems the local mice were holding nightly nut-parties in there !].

Also make sure the levers are actually operating the air-flaps: if they seize then the control-levers may still go up and down but the outers of the bowden-cables can be just sliding in their mountings and not doing anything helpful to allow the air through.

--Tanuki.

"These nipples fill me with dread and horror!"

Had a look today. The intake and fan are lovely and clean. Slider and contacts were full of what looked like spray on grease !! Cleaned it all out an it seemed to work. Put it back together and it wasn't working again.

Took it apart once more and found that if I slid it right down and then touched the contact on the slider with a screwdriver the fan came on, any movement would put it off again, so I'm guessing the slider unit and contacts are kaput !

Now, to google for the part number....

no need to google, it's item A 4th from top of list part number UTP1125 in this diagram http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/31/52983/

http://www.lrseries....SEMBLY-LHD.html

Nearly had a heart attack there but I think I'm OK. I already ordered part STC4848 before reading your post !!

I have done a search on the part you listed and it seems to be the LHD version. I hope I got it right :)