Engine Options ?

landybehr

Hi,

I thought I aked here for encouragement.

Starting point is a 90" due for severe TLC and a new engine and gearbox.

My first choice would be a 300tdi. But emissions wouldn´t allow me one.

A 2.4 or 2.2 TDci Puma could fit. But I fear they are $$ and aren´t there even better options ?

I thought about BMW engines. Think I could find them easily. There was this 2.8l 6-cylinder (M52 engine code) which they built in SA. It´s said to be a really good engine and google says everybody who drives one liked it. There even is a successor (code M54) with 3.0l

There is this recent article in the LRO (was it LRM) where a 3.0l 6-cyl. biturbo Diesel was dropped into a 110". So anything is possible. But it needn´t be such a powerful machine for me. Though IF going to an "electrified" engine THEN it might as well have power, I think. Even though, money is an issue and it got to be a daily driver afterwards.

Has anyone experience with any BMW <> gearbox combinations in a Defender ?

Any other recent engine to be advised ?

Or just forget about lateral thinking and look for a crashed Ford Transit?

trouble is, most of the cities try to improve the air quality by having strategically placed corridors that may only be passed by vehicles which are a) petrol engines with catalysator or b) Diesels with good emission homologization (which even TD5 with cat-upgrade do not comply with). Tax is another point, of course it is really high for old-smokey Diesels. I could somewhat live with that but if you enter the cities where you may not you risk quite some penalties. Only vehicles older that 30years are exempt.

I am not quite sure whether we could live with that. ´Afraid, missus will not be amused with confinements like that - as it is (better: will be) a daily driver for her.

I understand now, might be worth adding your nearest big town/city into your profile

Mission accomplished :)

But what about your ideas concerning engine options. I don´t see I have a chance with the TD5 - though I´ll check it over again.

In a nutshell: I do like the Rover V8 but already have one in the family :) (RRC for myself). No need for another Rover with big thirst.

I do like a modest challenge too, that´s why lateral thinking comes into play.

if Td5 engined vehicles are sold & used by other owners, surely they must be compliant with the lGerman/Euro wide regs in force when the Td5's vehicle came on sale, older engines200 & 300Tdi for example emission info is just not available, as the regs didn't exist when they were nade.

IIRC the BMW 2.8 used a LT77 main gearbox variant.

The m52 2.8 has a reputation for head gasket failures in higher mileage engines, head gasket failure is normally terminal due to the head bolts stripping the threads in the block.

the m52 would bolt up to the bellhousing used in the 2.5 diesel p38 rangerover which had a r380 in it, the bellhousing is quite long though.

The other problem with anything m52 era is that it has quite a sophisticated immobilser setup.

you might be better looking at an m50 2.5 out of a e34, the e34 doesnt always have a built in immobiliser and the engine wiring is really easy to divorce from the car.

In your shoes i'd be more tempted to fit an m57 diesel though, if you emission regs allow that is.

I´d be allowed to license and drive a car with bad emissions - the tax will rise accordingly. With a Diesel the fear for particle emissions apply and it´s only some cities that cause worries and you couldn´t legally pass them.

But it might be I was wrong about the chances to help a TD5 an Euro-Emission level up. (IIRC from our Euro3 to Euro4). That would need considerable $$, but help with all my problems. .... until the people we elect choose to spit out some new regulations out of boredom.

Why limit yourself to diesels? If you're already looking at stuff with electronics there are plenty of powerful economical petrol lumps out there, and you have the fallback of being able to use megasquirt to run them if the factory wiring is too much. Might even find a nice BMW lump would bolt in.

Why limit yourself to diesels? If you're already looking at stuff with electronics there are plenty of powerful economical petrol lumps out there, and you have the fallback of being able to use megasquirt to run them if the factory wiring is too much. Might even find a nice BMW lump would bolt in.

:hysterical: m52 2.8 is a petrol!!!

A guy in UK Jeremy Fearn (google) is probably the most knowledgable on the BMW M57 diesel into landrovers idea , IIRC the M57TUD30 is about the best straight out of the box ( HP and torque delivery points) but they are oldish engines (its a 2003 fitment) the N57D30T a more upto date option . I have ben considering the option myself in my 110 to replace a very thirsty 3.9 !!

... on the BMW M57 diesel into landrovers idea , IIRC the M57TUD30 is about the best straight out of the box ( HP and torque delivery points) but they are oldish engines (its a 2003 fitment) the N57D30T a more upto date option . I have ben considering the option myself in my 110 to replace a very thirsty 3.9 !!

Do you know, which gearbox will take the 520Nm of the "smallest" N57 ?

An automatic gerarbox would be nice then, but I understand there were ZF and GMs, and people had trouble with the latter.

If I chose a Petrol version of the BMWs, I recently found a Plug´n´Play solution to replace the original Motronic ECU:

http://www.k-data.org/kdfi-1-3.html

AFAICS only the M52 or M60 (V8) are of interest. The KDFi box is basically a Megasquirt in a Motronic casing I understand.

I now have been assured that I could start with a TD5 and get the emission thing sorted. Same with a 300tdi but not easily. In any case a particl.filter will have to be installed.

Still thinking .. it´s hard to assess later running costs and conversion costs vs. time involved.

In any case, a new TDV6 oder 3.2l Ford will be too heavy for my pocket.