my bulkhead in need or repair..

hello all, my bulkhead is a bit 'iffy' at the moment. so what do i need to repair it? its already had to pillars have been done but the foot wells look a bit dodgy so i wont poke or prod them. my main concern is the corners and top rail... or the lack of them :blink:

post-30771-0-59212200-1345491356_thumb.jpg

post-30771-0-76551500-1345491366_thumb.jpg

post-30771-0-43213900-1345491375_thumb.jpg

post-30771-0-54124900-1345491383_thumb.jpg

so what do i do? i was thinking these but i dint think there long enough?? then these which im not sure where they go?? they look like the block of the vents??

whats my best bet? and this isnt a job that i will be doing, ill get a friend to do it for me as in not capable. :)

Personally with it that far gone I'd look at changing it for one either from a newer vehicle or for a galvanised one.

i wish i could!! my financial and skill situation is poor. :glare: what would it cost for me to get someone to do it for me? £700 labour? and thats without a replacement bulkhead. maybe another. :unsure:

first of your links is the upper corner repair plates, the 2nd link is the upper front face from screen brackets toward the centre. you might be better off with the longer items.

so item 2, its been a long day and i cant see where they go! :blink:

do they cover the vent flaps? like so:

(please admire my superior paint skills :P )

post-30771-0-20095000-1345509002_thumb.jpg

.. and you can fit it yourself Mr Landy-Novice .... ok you'll need someone to help lift it ;) If the 800 is too much you will pick up a used but much better bulkhead for much less than that, in fact I'd think the cost of welder and parts for your current bulkhead will be more expensive then a good used bulkhead.

i wish i could!! my financial and skill situation is poor. :glare: what would it cost for me to get someone to do it for me? £700 labour? and thats without a replacement bulkhead. maybe another. :unsure:

so item 2, its been a long day and i cant see where they go! :blink:

do they cover the vent flaps? like so:

(please admire my superior paint skills :P )

Reckon so, only seen these panels on the YRM website, the vent holes would need cutting of the repair plates.

Reckon so, only seen these panels on the YRM website, the vent holes would need cutting of the repair plates.

cheers Ralph. ill get on the phone to them tomorrow and see what see if you correct. ;)

and Mr. wabbit, i hear what your saying but its well out of my skill level and comfort range!! :unsure: and i have found a mint bulkhead for £250 :glare: :glare: i got a quote back for a independent LR garage.. £1000 labor! so its out with the repair sections for me!! hahaa

TBH unless you are just going to slap repair sections over the top it's going to require just as much skill, if not more, to make a decent job of stripping stuff out the way, cutting out and welding in new metal than fitting a good, solid s/h bulkhead.

I'd have to agree, the bulkhead swap will be easier then a good repair to that bulkhead. Not sure why Landy-Novice is so wary of swapping the bulkhead considering the amount of welding and stripping he has done on the rest of this 110.

TBH unless you are just going to slap repair sections over the top it's going to require just as much skill, if not more, to make a decent job of stripping stuff out the way, cutting out and welding in new metal than fitting a good, solid s/h bulkhead.

Absolutely agree with the above, i am a good welder and i would not do he repairs on that, not that i could not but the amount of hours it would take to do it properly are just not worth it, if you can get a good one for £250 i would buy that and change it, a damn sight quicker and easier. If you take into account the steel, good quality flap discs, slitting discs you will go through its much more sense to change it out.

Keith

Just so you don't feel quite so bad Mr L-N, I think I have an imminent bulkhead swap on the cards :(.

Oh and the ashtree price is £960 inc VAT.

which is far to much!! i barley have a pot to pi.... :(

if its and help, i had an eye on this.. maybe suitable for you? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280949195727?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649