td5 engine parts upgrade for high performance

Are you thinking about the plastic dowl pins for locating the heads? I think early TD5's had them, if you cooked your engine, they melted. I belive you can get metal replacment ones and the later engines had this mod already.

Mav

Egr removal and decat pipe make a fair difference it's a lot more fun to drive but my fuel economy is now mega bad. If you are putting the engine back together make shore the MAF sensor is good i lost a lot of power from a nakered one.

Was thinking about chipping mine but haven't yet. Was told the exsaust manifold gasket will go if you drive like a crazy person/pull a 4 tone trailer if you have it chipped. Exsaust manifold I was told it has m10 bolts inthe middle but m8 bolts at both ends and that drill and tap to m10 is the way to go and get better bolts e.g. 12.2. Also to cut the middle part of the maniford joining the exsaust tubes together so that the manifold can move a little more so when it gets very hot it wont pop the gasket. This is cheaper than buying some fance SS £700 pound exsaust manifold that will achieve the same thing.

Egr removal and decat pipe make a fair difference it's a lot more fun to drive but my fuel economy is now mega bad. If you are putting the engine back together make shore the MAF sensor is good i lost a lot of power from a nakered one.

Was thinking about chipping mine but haven't yet. Was told the exsaust manifold gasket will go if you drive like a crazy person/pull a 4 tone trailer if you have it chipped. Exsaust manifold I was told it has m10 bolts inthe middle but m8 bolts at both ends and that drill and tap to m10 is the way to go and get better bolts e.g. 12.2. Also to cut the middle part of the maniford joining the exsaust tubes together so that the manifold can move a little more so when it gets very hot it wont pop the gasket. This is cheaper than buying some fance SS £700 pound exsaust manifold that will achieve the same thing.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

the exhaust manifold is held on with m8 bolts throughout, no m10,

yes you can cut the webs out between the legs of the manifold which will help reduce the chances of warping, however if you drive it like a nutter it may still warp,

back to the original poster,

How much power are you looking to run?

at the moment with my td5 we have externally modified it as far as we can (well got one more trick up our sleeve but im not gonna give away all my secrets) & i believe it to be making a healthy 220 ish,

well..............

i know lara's 2.8 td5 was approx 260bhp @ 1.8 bar of boost, but then it was stroked etc & had lots of trick bits internally,

if you want to do it properly, speak to andy @ allisport or Pete @ BAS,

if you want a dyno graph that says 230+, speak to twisted or Alive

personally theres the option of putting a worked head & some nice internals in mine next, but theres quite a few subtle bits that you will have to work out for yourself, or speak to the knowledgable people & go from there,

we have a figure that we are aiming for & its a bit more than 230, should make it aswell :moglite: :moglite:

See you on the dyno :ph34r: :ph34r:

• 8 years later...
On 12/1/2020 at 9:38 PM, steve200TDi said:

Bit of a confusing website! It doesn't really tell you what power and torque the kit produces?!....

i know it is a bit of a terrible website but if you scroll down there's a chart and you have to Mach up the turbo numbers