Batteries now :O(

Hybrid_From_Hell

Kin batteries have BOTH Died

I have 2 x Optima Red Tops, fair doos as both are seriously old - prob 8 & 12 yrs !

But the constant cranking has killed them - Both

Now, when I bought these they were the "CUtting" edge, now they are one of many batteries out there

So, I need to replace my Battery(s)

Currently have 2 x Red Top Optimas under the seat, I require a battery that is Relaible, qulaity and big output

partly to allow the new tight 5.2 to start but also as a "Jump Starting machine" as when Marshalling I often have to

get dea engine running, so need something with a massive reserve.

Size wise must be the same or smaller than 2 x Red Tops which is approx

260mm Width x 180mm High x 170 x (2 of)= 340mm wide

Red tops were / are around 800 CCA and I think around 60 Ah wouldn't wnat less

One or 2 batteries, 1 might just be simplir ?

Thoughts of Makes / Models / and where to buy ?

Nige :(

If it’s just for starting your own engine and for assisting others doing the same then I would take those measurements down to the agricultural dealers/battery place and buy the biggest batteries you can physically fit in that space!

I’ve no personal experience of Optimas but on paper they appear to be overpriced for their spec. However somebody who has actually used them may feel differently.

The above assumes that those batteries will be used for starting only and no split charge or winch is involved. I.e. if you go with two batteries they are connected together as a bank permanently.

We put a big-ass Tudor in Mouse that just about fit in the space made for an Optima, needed a very small mod and that was sawing off the bottom lip that is sometimes used for fastening.

Go to a proper battery place with measurements and you'll go home with a good battery.

I have a pair of 072's permanently wired in parrallel in mine. I understand that these will drop straight into a standard 90 battery box. They're nothing special and were the cheapest ones I could get from the motor factors. They've been on there 7 years now, and have been fine with my electric winches etc.

Bearing in mind you don't run electric winches i would think these would be ideal for you.

Jon

Not suggesting you try these Nige, but out for discussion anyway...

I've was tempted to try using the Varta 'Stop-Start Plus' batteries. One model is 20mm longer than the Optima, one 20mm shorter.

It's an AGM design, similar to the Optima and Odyssey, but mass market intended for eco-friendly cars, so more reasonably priced than them.

Being for stop-start use, it should be resilient to the sort of abuse a LR owner might give it.

Downside is it's intended to be used with a clever charging system, and I haven't found any data on how it might fare being fed from a plain old alternator.

I couldn't fit the 20mm longer one, and I couldn't source the shorter one when I needed batteries last year, or I would have tried them out.

I have one of the Numax ones in this link.

I think Xeng also sell them.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html

I purchased mine from Tanya and it arrived very well packed the following day. The cold cranking amps on the Numax are based on a marine spec that was better than automotive CCA . I think one is tested at 18deg and the other at zero. If you look at the site they also have larger versions .

For the money, I don't think you can get much better.

Matt

Mr White wins, with the cunning idea of as big and as cheap as I can get / got :D

My local Factors (who I have a trade account with) had a few misorders as they are a holding branch for the group, a lookie round saw me exit with

2 x 700amp 80AH Sealed for life bateries that are about (note ABOUT) the same size as the Optimas, but means new mounting tray

Bugger

But stupidly cheap, and 3 yrs warranty

so thats that bought then for just over £120 the 2 !

Kin hell, this is getting me down now :(

"Tommorow I shall be mainly remking a pair of battery mounting trays .............. " :o(

Nige