Fitting X - springs

I picked up some X-springs from the for sale section on here a little while ago and it's getting to the stage in the rebuild where I would like to fit them to the 90. So far they are bolted inside the main springs, but have not got the 'hats' on yet. My main concern was how to get the vehicle high enough whilst ensuring that it is not too unstable to work on. I helped a mate fit some a while ago using a roof-mounted tackle block and hi-lift but I don't have a tall structural point in the roof and the forklift isn't working

My kit extends to:

- large trolley jack

- very high axle stands

- hi-lift jack

- plenty of steel beer barrels/pallets to wedge underneath

On another note, does it look like my Terrafirma springs are the correct way up? I remember reading somewhere that progressive springs should only be fitted one way up but can't remember which way that was!

IMG_0120_zpsab0ba346.jpg

Cheers,

Harry

Cheers Steve, i didn't think to look there :rolleyes:

Thank you, it's a galv chassis from Richards with a few little mods also. I will be doing a build thread soon, this thread was the first time I've managed to work photobucket successfully, now I know how simple it is I'll get something sorted asap!

Any ideas on the spring orientation?

Cheers,

Harry

Thanks Steve, glad to know I got it right!

Sadly I saw a few horror stories about the Tarantula trailing arms on Landyzone a little while ago, but I had already bought/fitted them a year before :( I'm keen to change them as a result of these threads, but not sure what to use.

My plans for the 90 may have changed slightly (I will know for certain soon) and as a result it will be doing far fewer road miles, would X-arms be a good idea? I looked at rose joints but after speaking to a few people I found that they need changing after about 1,000 miles (and cost £50/side) I like the idea of the NOR extended arms but they require chassis welding, which I would prefer to avoid.

Cheers,

Harry

Sadly I saw a few horror stories about the Tarantula trailing arms on Landyzone a little while ago, but I had already bought/fitted them a year before :( I'm keen to change them as a result of these threads, but not sure what to use.

I'd go for some of the Gwyn Lewis rear trailing arms - extremely strong and very reasonable price (slightly cheaper if bought from his ebay shop)!

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page6.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Heavy-Duty-Rear-Trailing-Arms-gwynlewis4x4-challenge-suspension-/180750255786?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a158e06aa

Cheers guys, I have had some stuff from Gwyn before and it has always performed well so I'm very tempted by those.

Would something like X-arms make a huge difference? I don't want to go as far as rose jointed A-frame yet so not sure whether I would get the full benefit from them...

Harry

So I went out into the shed and dug the X-spring seats out today and one of them looks to be bent somehow. It is still perfectly circular and sits flat on the ground but has a bit of a lean on, is this likely to cause a problem? I'm concerned it may somehow damage the inside of the main coil spring or distort the X-spring?

Cheers, Harry

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

I'm guessing it was not perfectly square in the press when it was formed. I shouldn't worry about it though - it won't make any difference operationally.

If it offends your eye aesthetically, id be happy to replace it under warranty though.

In addition to what it says in the instructions, a scissor jack between the axle & bump stop can be very helpful to overcome the stiffness in the radius arms at full droop. This may be enough on its own to locate the springs if you disconnect the shocks.

Failing that, spring compressors work well.

Si

Right so on saturday I dragged the jacks out and had a go at fitting the X-springs. Followed the destructions that Steve found and used Si's idea of a jack between the chassis and axle (although in my case it was a bottle jack) It all went together nicely and took no longer than a couple of hours (including lots of tea breaks :ph34r: ) Slackening the trailing arm-chassis nut made a big difference, as did removing the shock absorber. I previously thought it was my A-frame ball joint that was the limiting factor in my suspension travel, it turns out that it's actually my +5 shocks! It's not a major issue though, with the shock removed the extended brake pipe flexi is too tight, the shock stops full downward travel and helps protect my brake hose. I might have to ring llama 4x4 and ask for a +4 or 5 inch rear pipe- in the meantime I have rotated the T-piece a little and bent it to face up towards the chassis more.

At the moment the 90 is just a bare tub and running gear so there is very little weight on the back. Parked on the flat the x-springs have about 2 inches visible but once I get cappings, tailgate, towbar, roll bar etc back on, that should sit it down properly

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg