V8 questions

candpdoyle

Hi All

wondering i could ask a few questions about my new v8 series :-) been running arounfd in it for a few weeks. Been meaning to do an oil and filter change, balance the carbs and check the plugs.

Hoping to do this wed, but have a few questions that i cant seem to find the answers to?

what oil should i use is probably the most important :-) the rest I can probably muddle through, but any tips or advice would be much appreciated..

engine is a 3.5 with twin strombergs, running twin k and n's and is I believe from a rover sd1

looks to have some sort of ignition module on the side of the dizzy, so i assume it has electronic ignition?

just lately has started running a bit lumpily at idle and a little less inclined to start without some pressure on the acc pedal. have also noticed the leccy fuel pump is ticking and occasionally rattling? Been like this since i got it, but not run one before, so not sure if it is normal or not?

sorry for all the questions, but wanted to run it around for a while first to get some sort of bench mark before i started fiddling :-0

thanks in advance

Chris

OIL - 20/50 Nothing thinner no Synthetic etc, good is Duckhams Hypergrade

great is Valvoline VR1 racing

Ign module (match box size side of dizzy) = Electronic ign

Give it a service ?

new oil / filter /

GENUINE LR Rotor arm AND DIZZY Cap,

check carbs for oil in dampers

Fuel filter,

Check Timing,

new plugs NGK BRP6ES

And replace leads with genuine if they look either **** or bit knackered

Air Filter erm, ....

and anything else I've forgotten !

Nige

cheers Nige

was just out to have a quick look now. filled dampers and pulled a plug to check(just been on an 18-20mile run)

plug was chocolate brown(only did 1 side) and a bpr5 es ??? does that mean new plugs as well?

so genuine parts.... best place?? I have bearmach local and brookwells kind of local, bit od a run, but worth it sometimes

Cheers

Chris

OIL - 20/50 Nothing thinner no Synthetic etc, good is Duckhams Hypergrade

great is Valvoline VR1 racing

Ign module (match box size side of dizzy) = Electronic ign

Give it a service ?

new oil / filter /

GENUINE LR Rotor arm AND DIZZY Cap,

check carbs for oil in dampers

Fuel filter,

Check Timing,

new plugs NGK BRP6ES

And replace leads with genuine if they look either **** or bit knackered

Air Filter erm, ....

and anything else I've forgotten !

Nige

Just double checking but my Haynes Manual for the Rover 3500 V8 says MultiGrade engine oil, viscosity SAE 10w/30, or 10w/40, 10w/50, or 15w/50 to BLS22-OL-02. *

Duckhams Reccomendation Duckhams QXR Hypergrade 10w/40.

* Austin Rover specify a 10w/40 oil to meet warranty requirements for models produced after August 1983. Duckhams QXR and 10w/40 Motor Oil are available to meet these requirements.

Is it that the engines are now a bit worn so need something a bit thicker??

Not really, it's a 50's designed engine, they like the thicker oils for that reason, any thinner stuff was specced by manufacturers for emissions and appearing more modern to the public!

Cool yeah I know its an early pushrod design, the Small block Buick 215.

So for an off the shelf equivalent I'd be looking at

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_166289_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

£19 for 5l

I also get from the Rover 3500 manual that the capacity when changing the filter is 5.5 litres??

cheers guy's

dont suppose anyone knows the plug gaps offhand? the plug i checked seemed pretty wide, but i could not find my feeler gauge at the time to check where it was at?

can you set the timing by ear like a 2.25 or is a strobe required?

cheers guy's

dont suppose anyone knows the plug gaps offhand? the plug i checked seemed pretty wide, but i could not find my feeler gauge at the time to check where it was at?

can you set the timing by ear like a 2.25 or is a strobe required?

0.80 according to Haynes??

Me I'd do it with a strobe.

If the fuel pump is rattling (running very fast) it usually means it's sucking air, or has no resistance from the other end. You can get fuel vaporisation in hot engine bays, if there's a return line stick an inline filter in it so you can watch the fuel (or vapour) returning.

20W50 oil, at a push 15W40 will do but they really don't like thinner - the P38's with the improved oil pump specify the full range from about 0W30 to 20W50 but how great an idea those are is questionable.

lol discovered yesterday when it starts rattling you have less then a minute to find a fuel station :-) ran out miles from anywhere.. managed to cadge a lift and borrow a 5l fuel can which got me 1/4 mile from the fuel station i was heading for lol

twice in one day.. must get the lpg sorted asap

changed the dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads today... fiddled with the timing... have a 100 mile round trip to do this evening so will do the advance till it pinks under load test once it is warm and hopefully get it as close as possible

rest of the parts should be arriving this week i hope

thanks for the replies

Chris

Cool yeah I know its an early pushrod design, the Small block Buick 215.

So for an off the shelf equivalent I'd be looking at

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165581

£19 for 5l

I also get from the Rover 3500 manual that the capacity when changing the filter is 5.5 litres??

Used this stuff once, no problem but returned to Duckhams in preference.

Marc