Toolkit for the landy

LR90

When I lived in a small flat I had an MTB and a kayak behind my front door, could just open it enough to get in/out, and a stack of LR tyres just outside the bathroom door. Now I have a 3 bed house with a garage and still have LR parts stored around the place, had some split doors in the loft and a winch bumper in the lounge until recently.

Andy

I was in that boat when at Uni but my truck got broken into and all my tools got nicked the only tools I had left were in my brothers car and that was broken into some weeks later and the rest were nicked...

no win situation

The most annoying thing was that the Lightweight was never touched as it was a soft top with out door tops but when I moved everything from the lightweight to the 90 which had doors and a roof and locks they smashed there way through the side window to get everything including the sterio out.

I was so gutted

I'l also in the same boat as I've no place really to store my tools so they're in a box bolted into the back of the 110.

I used to carry all this about but have recently rationalised it a bit to just what fits in my tool box, bottle jack and a set of sockets.

Trolley jack

bottle jack

2x axle stands

tow rope

1/2" socket set

1/4" socket set

2' & 3' breaker bar

gearbox, engine and axle oil

coolant, clutch and brake fluid

screwdrivers - all sizes

Hammers - all sizes

Ring spanner set

Open ended spanner set

punches

jublie clips

pliers

vice grips

a vice!

multimeter

feeler gauge

circlip pliers

gas soldering iron

cabling

duct tape

box of fasteners and cable ties

ball joint splitter

grease pump

oil syringe

grease gun

torch

Haynes

work shop manual

parts list

torque wrench

Funnels

oil filer remover

jump leads

files x3

brake bleed kit

12v drill & bits

hacksaw

hub nut tool

I lernt long ago the cars have there own tool left in them that way if a Pikey/Chav helps himself your good home tools arnt missing...

Having said this I have just noticed that my every day car the disco has a 13mm ring spanner and a multi screwdriver, apart from the factory jack & wheel brace that it.... oops

Not too many pikeys in this part of the world thankfully :)

I carry a 13mm ring spanner in everything, that way if you get an electrical short you can whip the battery off sharpish before it turns into a fire.

Not too many pikeys in this part of the world thankfully :)

I carry a 13mm ring spanner in everything, that way if you get an electrical short you can whip the battery off sharpish before it turns into a fire.

Better reason than mine the disco wipers keep falling off :blink:

I keep a cheapo Draper Value Toolkit* under the back seat of the 110. It's a bit on the dinky side, but handy to have and enough to cover a lot of minor jobs. In the seatboxes live some jump leads, WD40, Easy Start (for other people), a trade pack of fuses, the odd bulb and an accumulation of other stuff like copper grease and a hub nut spanner.

If I'm going on a longer trip then I take my main toolbox, but more in case I need to do 'unscheduled maintenance' at the other end than as a breakdown kit.

*Edited to add that I've seen them cheaper than this - I only paid 13 quid for mine.

I use this one

MM040212780C.jpg

Add a big hammer, maybe a big adjustable and some prybars and you aren't far off of the money IMHO

Seems a well thought out kit

Well firstly most of you seem to carry more kit in your Landies than I have in the garage :o

But I like Andy's choice though its rather larger than I was expecting. Given its size I'm not sure its going to live in the Landy but like Bogmonster said it is easy to throw into whichever LR I'm using that day.

It looks budget so I won't mind too much if it gets lost or rusty but with 1/2" and sockets to 32mm it does feel well matched to the land rover.