Steering box compatibility

I just wanted to confirm the compatibility of sterring boxes vehicle to vehicle. I think i am going to change mine as i have a niggling doubt about it. I havent got the the bottom of its centre point, the fact that it doesnt return to centre easily and just feels a bit heavy and wandery.

I think Ralph has done this - I have a 6 bolt Gemmer box at the mo. Is it a straight swap for a 4 bolt version from Adwest? I'm guessing Gemmer doesnt exist anymore so the 6 bolt version is no lonfer available? - cant find reports of them anywhere.

Yes, you can swap from a 6 to 4 bolt box, the drop arms are different though (and dont bother with the disco drop arm either) so you'll need to source a drop arm for a 4 bolt box.

Thanks David. Adwest supply the boxes with the drop arm so, as long as thats compatible with the normal drop arm ball joint, all should be fine.

Yes, you can swap from a 6 to 4 bolt box, the drop arms are different though (and dont bother with the disco drop arm either) so you'll need to source a drop arm for a 4 bolt box.

Is that........

Don't bother with the disco drop arm if you have not done the conversion.......

or

Don't bother with the disco drop arm because it is problematic?

:-)

I just wanted to confirm the compatibility of sterring boxes vehicle to vehicle. I think i am going to change mine as i have a niggling doubt about it. I havent got the the bottom of its centre point, the fact that it doesnt return to centre easily and just feels a bit heavy and wandery.

I think Ralph has done this - I have a 6 bolt Gemmer box at the mo. Is it a straight swap for a 4 bolt version from Adwest? I'm guessing Gemmer doesnt exist anymore so the 6 bolt version is no lonfer available? - cant find reports of them anywhere.

6 to 4 bolt straight swap, even the pipes fit, as you said I did this recently. mine came with the correct drop arm fitted complete with ball joint pin ready installed.

Is that........

Don't bother with the disco drop arm if you have not done the conversion.......

or

Don't bother with the disco drop arm because it is problematic?

:-)

dont bother full stop imho, reason being that i've changed no end of decent quality track rod ends, but never a drop arm ball joint.. So a waste of your hard earned to me.

dont bother full stop imho, reason being that i've changed no end of decent quality track rod ends, but never a drop arm ball joint.. So a waste of your hard earned to me.

Interesting.

I've just done the conversion! Nothing like anxious news!

IMHO......... and possibly because i have done it, the disco arm swap is worthwhile, i manages to break a track rod on a trial once, however, someone had a spare.......... if i were to break the joint in the drop arm, i'd be buggered........ it's gotta be simpler even if you have to do it a few times to swap a track rod end rather than rebuild the joint, or replace an entire arm.........

Just my tuppence worth!

I would beg to differ, the drop arm ball joint is a pig to change, seems to be advised on every mot even when ok (most testers dont seem to realise they're sprung loaded) and the rubber boot quite often slips off the drop arm. It's a 10 minute job to change a track rod end and the steering has always felt more positive after i've done the conversion (which i've done to a few now)

Just my experience

I'd rather change a TRE than a drop arm ball joint-as it take's me 10 minutes maximum to change a TRE compared to 4+ hours for a drop arm ball joint, Hence why i changed mine over to this system about 8+ years ago and have had nothing but a easy life maintaining it compared to the normal 90/110/defender set up

HTH

John