Air Impact Guns

need4speed

Do they really get to 1000nm? I only ask as ive experienced an cheap Aldi one and also my mates Ingersol Rand - neither could undo the crank bolt on the 200tdi - that is supposed to be 340nm tight. Surely the IR should have managed that? (the IR is definately better quality than my cheapie, you can feel the 'impact')

Not found anything on a Landrover it won't shift yet. Including plenty of crank bolts, diff pinions, transfer box output bolts, radius/trailing arm bolts etc. Had a couple of large seized bolts on ag machines which it rattled on for a while but refused to break the seal. I was forced to crack them with a scaffold bar, but it then wound them off with ease. If you use full force on tightening (has 3 settings) it will relatively easily shear a 8.8 M10 bolt if you don't stop. I guess the max. 1020NM rating would need to be under ideal conditions with full-bore hose and plenty of tank pressure.

My £15 ebay special will undo most things you throw at it, but will perform much better when attached to a 'proper' workshop air supply, I.e. One with a substatial reservoir, as opposed to a 25l 'hobby' compressor. Maybe that was the issue with the IR?

Its quite possible. Mine has a 50 litre reservoir and i was careful to try it onthe hard stuff when it was at full pressure.

The biggest difference comes when you run them off an airline from a decent 150psi compressor rather than the cheapo ones which are usually only 110psi or so. Even my crappy Draper one works pretty well if you stuff 150psi up it, I've never tried my new-ish CP gun on a decent air supply but it works pretty well even on my cheap compressor.

Even if you use a regulator and feed them with the recommended 90psi or whatever, the small compressors drop down to about 70psi before kicking in to recharge, so you don't get full pressure all the time.

Just remembered something about my cheapo air gun. I recall the power gradually dropping over time to the point it was pretty US. My brother tried it and realised what the problem was, the 4 allen bolts holding the back plate on the gun had worked ever so slightly loose and by tightening them down it restored the thing to full power again. Still in a different league to a quality gun though!

Lots of diy/hobby compressors have a restriction in the regulator outlet to reduce the flow, to prevent the compressor killing itself on too high a duty cycle.

This makes running high-demand tools like impact guns pretty much pointless. You may have the pressure, but you'll not have enough flow to keep that pressure when using the tool.

Of course, if you remove the restriction, you then have to watch the duty cycle, if not you'll overheat the compressor.

My 50L compressor had a restriction that was perhaps 1.5mm diameter, you're not going to get much air through that! Now running on a 300L tank, with 15mm copper pipe and 1/2" hose. Much better.

Lots of diy/hobby compressors have a restriction in the regulator outlet to reduce the flow, to prevent the compressor killing itself on too high a duty cycle.

This makes running high-demand tools like impact guns pretty much pointless. You may have the pressure, but you'll not have enough flow to keep that pressure when using the tool.

Of course, if you remove the restriction, you then have to watch the duty cycle, if not you'll overheat the compressor.

My 50L compressor had a restriction that was perhaps 1.5mm diameter, you're not going to get much air through that! Now running on a 300L tank, with 15mm copper pipe and 1/2" hose. Much better.

Ah ... I wondered why I could never get air tools to run off my Draper 25L compressor using the proper outlet, ten years later I understand!

I pulled the bung out of the end and fitted a PCL quick release coupling into the end of the receiver, and it worked fine ever since. Your explanation makes sense now! With plenty of PTFE you can make a perfectly airtight system, mine never used to leak at all but since I moved it to the new garage it does now lose about 5psi a week but it's bearable.

post-84-0-32285800-1351203286_thumb.png

On my compressor, it was basically a needle valve. I removed it, which made a decent improment, but ultimately I now don't use the tank regulator/output at all. I've plumbed the tank in using the 1/2" threaded bung on the end of the tank, with a seperate regulator. Much better.

Thanks. I shall take a look at mine!

i used to run a ir qt1 in the workshop and it was epic!!!!

was even better when i changed my air point to full 10mm fittings and hoses (inc gun)

used to undo truck wheel nuts with ease (torqued up to 680nm then rusted on)

but as said the compressor is the limiting factor

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to pinch your thread need 4 speed, but my local B&Q has some rattle guns on clearance made by " Aircraft". Not a brand I have heard of but boasts 1080NM of torque. At £75 I wondered if these are worth a punt?

Anyone head of "Aircraft" brand?