cool heater after a 200 tdi conversion

st1g

I have just finished a 200tdi conversion into my 110 the problem i have now is the engine seems to be running hot but the heater is cold and also the expansion tank stays cold . i have changed the water temp sensor for the apparently the right one ? could this be a problem with the water pump if so how do i check that it is working ?? and also i think the system is not pressurising .

the truck it came out of had a very good heater i drove it to my workshop . i have just changed the thermostat today before that i put the one out of the old 19j engine , which was ok but the engine didnt get up to temp when driving slowly . i will check the matrix in the morning but what i do not understand is why the system is not pressurising ??

Mine doesn't pressurise either, never has done since I got it. However the heater works really well after I put a new thermostat in it about 12 years ago! and works even better after throwing the huge fan away and fitting an electric one.

However the heater was useless in my old 110 after changing the 19J for a brand new 200Tdi retrofit kit, no matter what I tried. Eventually fitted a Tdi heater matrix and it worked perfectly, but never did work out why.

its a bearmach stat . and its still doing it ??? the heater is working well now i filled the matrix through the top pipe then topped up the system ,. i will have to find some where that sells a different make stat

ok i have just changed the stat for a q&h one . the heater matrix is getting very warm as is the engine but now the radiator is stone cold , if i repeatedly squeeze the top hose i can get the hot water into the rad but it wont circulate on its on ??? is the water pump u/s or is the rad u/s .

the only thing is when i drove the donor truck to my workshop the temp was ok and ive used the rad of that ?????

also i have a 2 hundred mile round trip on Saturday so i have one day to sort this out

yes i know but its staying cold when the engine/temp gauge is hot ?? i took the heater feed pipe off with the engine going and there was a good flow so i be leave the water pump is working ok . so i think there must be a air lock in the rad ?? i flushed the rad out before i refitted it .

Hi,

The 300Tdi rad appears to have a single horizontal baffle. Since both the filling plug and the outlet/drain hose are on the same side as the filling plug, to bleed air from the rad it appears necessary to only jack up the right hand wheel, so that air can escape from below the baffle to above, and then level the vehicle to vent via the filling cap.

If you're getting hot water through both the heater supply and return hoses there should be no air lock in that section of the circuit. Assuming that your heater blower is working properly, if those hoses are both hot, then the problem is probably in the operation of the air flow dampers. Air is directed either through the heater matrix, for heating, or is directed to by-pass the heater matrix, for cooling. If you're getting hot water circulating through the heater matrix - both hoses hot - , but not getting hot air out of the cabin vents, the problem probably lies in the air flow dampers.

Mike

as the engine has come from a Discovery, did you change the temp gauge sender to a Defender version, if not your temp gauge will over read 7 make you think the engine is over heating, this is a well documented problem when fitting a Disco 200tdi to a pre Tdi 90/110.

defender temp sender is 5/8 unf thread part PRC8593 http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10017/2940/28/PRC8593-TEMPERATURE-TRANSMITTER.html

But it won't screw into the Discovery thermostat housing because that uses a Metric thread, so either find a defender stat housing or a suitable sender & matching temp gauge [VDO for example]

i have done this and checked the engine temp with a raytemp infra red thermometer . i will have to try and flush the rad through again . the most annoying thing is a drove my mates truck yesterday which i changed the engine two months ago and it goes really well the temp gauge went up to half way and stayed there . i can not think of any thing i have done different on my truck to his ??

probably & hopefully just a air lock then, when I fill my 200tdi, I fill the rad first through the cap on rad until full then fit the cap & then top up through header tank to the correct level & run the engine with header tank cap off for arund 10 mins, always worked for me.

yesterday i flushed the rad through , checked the thermostat and fill the rad through the top plug . went for a drive no different ??? then changed the stat for the one out of the 19j engine which is a different design to the 200tdi one , went for a drive and no problems the rad was warm the heater was warmish but the gauge only went up to the first quarter mark .

At least the one good thing is i found out my clutch master cylinder is leaking hahahaha