Which wires where on fuel tank sender unit???

Hi, All,

Please can someone give me help on the above? The vehicle is a '91 V8 110CSW, later fitted with a 300Tdi, but all the wiring is basically original. My fuel gauge used to work normally, allowing for the usual Land Rover error band, but now permanently shows Full, and my Low Fuel warning light is permanently on. Why?

Should the fuel gauge, when disconnected from both electrical connections, show eletrical continuity between the two terminals when tested with a multi-meter set on Ohms? If so, what resistance should it have?

I've just bought a new fuel tank sender unit, original type, which has three electrical connections on it, which are horizontally next to each other when the sender is installed. The wiring diagram in the LR manual, see attachment, shows three connections, but earlier wiring repairs/modifications have rendered wiring colours meaningless. Item 70 is the fuel gauge and item 81 is the sender unit. Which wire from the instrument panel goes to which sender connection?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Wiring Diagram.pdf

Only one wire goes back to the gauge, the other two, one ground (black) and a feed from +12v to sender from your diagram it looks like it is perm live, though I would take that with a pinch of salt. Shoukd be switched live

The ground should be obvious if it looks like a tack welded lug onto sender body (not insulated) then try swapping the other two round.

found this link for 90 tank, http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=19112

Pete3000 and Western,

Many thanks for the link and info. I've identified which wire is which, and now it all seems to be connected correctly, but I've not yet re-installed the sender unit, so I can move the float up and down to simulate a full or empty tank. And yes, the system is only live with the ignition ON.

With the level gauge disconnected and with both the level gauge and the sender unit disconnected the low level warning light stays on at all float positions. How should I test the level gauge? I've opened the gauge - minor aesthetic damage only :wacko: - and nothing appears to be amiss there, i.e. no loose wires evident, even under a magnifying glass, 'cos they're so damn fine. What value should the resistor be? It's 21 years old, and the colours are somewhat indistinct - no, I'm not colour blind - but the bands appear to indicate 680MOhm (Blue, Grey, Violet and Gold), which doesn't seem right. Do resistors deteriorate?

Any help will be very much appreciated, please. Many thanks,

Mike

Yes, it's inside the fuel gauge. Should there be electrical continuity across the fuel gauge terminals, and if so, what would the resistance be?

Is the fact that the low fuel warning light is permanently ON a symptom of other electrical problems? Everything else appears to be working normally.

• 3 years later...

a bit nerve wracking pushing 12V live through a full tank of fuel.... must admit I wasn't quite at ease.....

my gauge has a number on it: PRC3107, the 12V feed only works connected one way around, so must be some sort of diode inside too.....looking at the back of the gauge the 12v goes onto the right side lug and the green/black wire to the tank on the LEFT lug.

my sender unit didn't work with the earth at the bottom, had to be in the middle and now it seems to be working fine, lets see if it shows me as the tank empties.......lets see.

I KNOW!!!! almost sounds like an instruction manual to make a bomb.......

"now you insert an electric motor running on 12V into 80 litres of highly flammable petrol"......

"then as redundancy connect your fuel gauge to 12V, just in case your fuel pump doesn't blow you up"

and we drive around with these........

nerve wracking....

• 2 weeks later...

ok so now I have a new PRC7313 blue box gauge from a known supplier, fitted to the tank sender which is also a newish blue box and I am only getting reading between FULL and HALF......

any ideas what I am doing wrong?

same for the older sender unit, also only shows from FULL to HALF.

(at first I SUSPECTED it might be a 24V gauge but that is another part number.... PRC7314, so that rules that out.)

yes that happens, 12V thru the gauge gives me full tank, then I plug it all in, move the sensor to full tank and get gauge saying full tank, then slowly take it down to empty and the gauge doesn't get less than half tank......

Hmm. I'm a little stumped.

I would guess the sender is faulty (issue with the contacts (their angle or breaks in the copper bands it runs on))? Although I appreciate it's occurring to both.. I don't think it would be an earth fault given you get a full reading (i.e. no resistance) when connected up.

I assume the wiring for the low fuel light and gauge reading is the correct way round (low fuel light at the bottom)?

doesn't look like the low fuel light gauge is connected, lug is there but no wires inside....

maybe I need to ask this question another way around, which sensor is the right sensor for gauge PRC7313?

I suspect I might have the wrong sensor? only thing that makes sense, which would mean my old gauge is working fine just wrong sensor?

The fuel sender part number is dictated by the vehicle and fuel type.

My 110 is a v8 carb (which I think yours was originally), so the part number would be STC 1482. Now yours is a diesel, I believe you could also use a different one (PRC 8463 or AMR 1495), but I am not sure they would have a low fuel level warning light though as the parts diagram (page 521) suggests they don't.

I think the difference between petrol and diesel was the float (metal or plastic respectively), but perhaps someone with more knowledge could shed a little light..