what oil?

Nigelw

My power steering box is knackered but I need to run the engine up to working temp today, I do not want to kill my power steering pump however!!

Could I just put engine oil in the bottle just for the purpose of running it up without killing the little pump?

Any help greatly recieved.

I agree with the advice of not mixing fluids. What's wrong with topping up the reservoir with ATF?

To help protect my PAS system I've suspended a rare earth magnet from the reservoir cap that captures any steel particles circulating in the fluid. It's surprising how much is captured. About every six months I remove the cap and wipe the magnet clean with a clean paper towel. As well as the normal red stain from the fluid there's always a slight grey residue, presumably fine steel dust. If I replace the cap and repeat the cleaning there's no grey stain. For the cost of a magnet, every little bit of additional wear by suspended particles that is avoided is welcome.

Mike

Unable to get more ATF until tomorrow and the way the steering box chucks it out 5 litres won't last long!!! I got 25 Litres of Engine oils and high spin 46 too, thats why I was asking.

Removing drive belt not possible as it's on a 200Tdi and crank pulley water pump and P/S pump on that belt, don't want to cook the engine either!!

Discovery 200Tdi, I have refitted my newly brazed radiator for now but will wait until I can get to the auto factors in the day to get another 5 litres, but at 50+ euro this is gonna be expensive to run it up and find out if it leaks :(

Can you not try and get a non-PAS belt? Then you can skip the pulley and drive with manual steering for a while until you can fix it?

Oh it was not to drive it around, I wanted to test my first attempt at brazing a radiator but had to run the engine up to temperature and pressure to see if it leaked or not, it is leak free and brazing is holding up for now so job is a good'un,

The only problem there is that a Disco 200Tdi runs crank, water pump and P/S pump on primary belt and alternator is off the P/S pump pulley so no goer there, only got through 3 and a half litres in the 45 minute trial so not too bad but at 50+ euro for 5 litres it has cost me 35 euros to test it!!!

Just pump up the coolent system with a bike pump...?

WOW a guy who really thinks outside the box!!! And I mean that in a good way too LOL

Could have saved me a few euro in diesel and oil that little gem, will log in memory and save for future reference, it did not enter my head to do that at all!!!

but what sort of pressure should the coolant system run at?