Masai swingaway wheel carrier

Hi,

This is my first post but have been lurking in the background for a couple of year.

Finally I was in a position to buy a defender and am now the happy owner of a 2005 90 van and hav had it for nerly 3 months.

I managed to keep myself from adding things to it for about 3 weaks and now the cycle has started.

So the point of this was to find out if the Masai swingaway wheel carrier is any good. Found their shop on the bay but havnt been able to find much more bout it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Spare-Wheel-Carrier-for-Defender-90-110-post-02-/280660174795?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4158a667cb

I ideally want one the sits the wheel ofcentre to make it easer to get into the hitch.

Thanks in advance

Stokerjones

Dont have any experience with their products, but looking at their site they look pretty good. Especially like the idea of the carrier not putting load through the hinges. Although not a big problem with standard size wheel/tyre, i certainly dont like the idea of a 35" wheel/tyre baring its load through the hinges for long..

Taken from the listing :

• Special hinged bushes with grease nipples to provide long-life and serviceable parts

Looks pretty good to me but shop around there are plenty of brands out there, early mantec ones were prone to cracking at the welds but i dont know if theyve sorted that out these days.

At that price, i think i would get an actual Mantec one from FlatdogUK. The one in the ebay ad appears to sit to the drivers side - i beleive Safari Equip make ones that sit like that. If it is made by them, it should be a fairly good product, but not sitting central would annoy me.