laptop mount

SteveG

In preparation for running memory map in car I wanted to mount my Toshiba laptop. Looked on internet and Ram mounts seemed to be best, so I ordered one of these from GPS Warehouse, for 33 pounds...

ram-111-large.jpg

btw - GPS warehouse were super efficient with same day shipment.

Fitted universal mount to the laptop and then the ball base mount to side of centre dash..

laptopmount006Medium.jpg

Here it is secured on to arm..

laptopmount005Medium.jpg

I think I may go for longer arm, than the standard one I ordered to give me more options in movement. Also the tightening screw gets close to vent handle..

laptopmount004Medium.jpg

I would recommend the RAM mounts. It's very easy to adjust to what angle you need and when tightened up is very secure and up to the rigours of off-roading.

Here are some more pics in situ...

laptopmount003Medium.jpg

laptopmount002Medium.jpg

Just need to get laptop working now :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Oooh nice, how does the mount attach to the laptop? Does it screw into the casing? Is the new style dashboard stiffer than the old ones or is there a metal support behind the plastic? I can't imagine mine holding together with the weight of a laptop bouncing on it!

I like the way the laptop screen flips over, don't suppose it's a touch screen is it?

Ram stuff is very good, really impressed with my PDA mount. Just a shame there's nowhere nearby to buy the stuff as I hate paying postage costs each time you buy a new bit!

Richard

Oooh nice, how does the mount attach to the laptop? Does it screw into the casing? Is the new style dashboard stiffer than the old ones or is there a metal support behind the plastic? I can't imagine mine holding together with the weight of a laptop bouncing on it!

I like the way the laptop screen flips over, don't suppose it's a touch screen is it?

Ram stuff is very good, really impressed with my PDA mount. Just a shame there's nowhere nearby to buy the stuff as I hate paying postage costs each time you buy a new bit!

Richard

Mount screws into casing. It was hard finding points on main chassis that I could drill and fit a bolt head behind. Also removing the chassis on this model is a real pain in the arse as the motherboard is integrated. So I took an easier (bodge :) ) route of taking off one of the rear panels drilling four holes into that. Super glue to hold four bolts in place and then screwed panel back down in place. Once in place I bolted mount to it and then drilled and tapped a hole into the case in a 'safe' :o place :) Should hold it ok. ;)

There is no metal support behind dash. It's injection molded plastic. I lined up the base so that in the height I wanted it, shown in pic the, the arm also rests on dash. This is taking some of the weight and also the load is working on the vertical plane of the dash so should be ok. The base is held on with four bolts each with 20mm washers on so I think it will be ok :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes laptop is a Toshiba tablet, so yes touch screen and is a fully working laptop if you swivel the screen. I dropped it about 15 months ago and the bounce screwed up the hard drive. Just got round to getting a new HD and fixing it.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done my laptop mount - cost me £2 and about 4 hours of my time

img003Small.jpg

The quick release fasterner allows it to swivel really easily between driver and co-driver, also adjusts the height.

img007Small.jpg

I used the recesses on the case designed for the docking station to secure the Toughbook to the stand

img009Small.jpg

The top plate has some adjustment for angle and fore-aft.

Or I can drop it down out of the way

img005Small.jpg

Or the whole post can just be quickly removed for security or water crossings

Where did the £2 get spent - on a scrap bicycle - its the saddle frame/seat post/frame :D:D