Changing Front Drive Flanges

tuko

I'm sure this might be a dumb question, so bear with me as I don't know the answer. :blush:

I'm installing Ashcroft drive axles in the Defender front axle under the Hybrid and at present has the early thick drive flanges. I would like to buy a set of the HD drive flanges therefore I'm wondering if it's possible to change to the thin type drive flanges on the front? This will make life easier for rim fitment/choice later down the road.

Todd.

Then you'll have to keep the wider hubs too I'm afraid. Unless you can implement a spacer, but it would be a bit of a dodgy arrangement and you wouldn't actually achieve anything as the hub sets the bearing spacing after all.

Are the HD flanges Ashcroft do an option? They do them to fit early (thick) and late (thin) hubs.

When, out of curiosity, I tried fitting the thin drive flanges (from a Disco) to my wide hubs I found that the bolt holes didn't match up exactly (PCD). I believe this comes about due to the earlier flanges bolt holes being on an imperial PCD, while the later, thinner ones are on the metric equiv. PCD, only a fraction difference, but the bolts wouldn't go in.

When, out of curiosity, I tried fitting the thin drive flanges (from a Disco) to my wide hubs I found that the bolt holes didn't match up exactly (PCD). I believe this comes about due to the earlier flanges bolt holes being on an imperial PCD, while the later, thinner ones are on the metric equiv. PCD, only a fraction difference, but the bolts wouldn't go in.

They are a slightly different PCD, its the reason the KAM drive flanges have two sets of bolt holes!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I am swapping the 10 spline rear axle of my 1992 Disco with the 24 spline axle from my 1998 Disco but am at a bit of a loss on the fronts, I was thinking the diff of course but not sure for the swivels as front axle from the 98 Disco is RHD and 1992 is LHD so steering set up is different!!

Any ideas, would rather use what I have than buy bits I could have done without....

Dieseldog,

I have a 2002 Defender LHD front axle under a RHD hybrid, so I can't see you having any problems with the swivels.

Todd.

I was looking at the steering on the hubs and the link goes to different ends from the steering box?

Do I just retain my original hubs and swap the stubs and flanges for the 24 spline shafts and CVs?

Bit of a walk through please been a long time since I have had one to bits........

Ah, I think the later axles have both 'arms' on both swivels. My early 90 axle only has the 'arms' on the back of both for the track rod and then only the LH swivel has one for the drag link. (RHD car)

The front axle is off my 1998 V8 Disco and is the same as yours two on one and one on the other......