Riv-Nut tool

mmgemini

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago, so latest version. I've done over 30 so far and it's very good. Easy to use, only minor benefit would be a marker on wheel. Soon solved with a marker pen.

Just went for standard set without 10mm tool for £60, as I don't do 10mm ones often and it's same price (+£25) if you order it later.

Worth it for reliability of fitting in my opinion.

Cheers

Steve

I have one and have used it extensively, very good if room is tight.

Still use the more traditional lever type when room is no issue as I find it quicker and easier.

If I only had one type it would be the memfast one, nice bloke to deal with as well.

I've got one, well made, easy to use and did the job, sheared the M10 tool though and replacements were out of stock for months, maybe suggests a common problem? Haven't checked for a while though to see if they were back in stock...

Was it a steel or alluminium Riv-Nut that caused it to break ?

Steve, I'm not convinced by the one on eBay. It only does tiny riv-nuts up to M6, and it's probably fine for that. The main issue is the amount of space you would need around the insert to use the tool. Most of the others have a long 'snout' which engages with the insert so you could perhaps fix an insert inside a counter-bored hole.

I've used one of the MemFast tools and was quite impressed. Great for tight spaces - but I don't think it's chunky enough for M10, or at least it's going to be on the limit of the force it can withstand.

I have one of the long handles types (looks like a pair of bolt croppers) and M10 is the limit of what it is rated for.

My two top tips for where to buy cheap inserts are Winzur Wurth (but you need to be a company to buy from them) and Connect2 http://www.c2fasteners.co.uk/ (speak to Mike / Oliver) They are a small company and very friendly & helpful - but seem to manage to beat most of the big suppliers on cost. My Riv-Nut tool came from them 12 Years ago - and it's still going strong.

Si

Good coments as usual Simon.

I'd want mine mainly for M4, 5 and 6, maybe the off M8 aluminium ones mostly, I think if I wanted to go M10 then the screw and nut method would suffive.

Living where I do I also have a very good fastener supplier. Teeside Industrial Fasteners. They have a good stock with friendly service.

I have pliers but it's getting more difficult for me to use them which is why I'm thinking of this tool.

I was surprised with the design of the inserts which neck in narrower than the thread form they are working with. It parted in this area which is where you would expect it to fail as it is the smallest CSA. I'm sure I still have the broken bit somewhere as a reminder to sort a replacement..