Salisbury Plain Routes

Retroanaconda

Hi all. Heading out over the Salisbury Plain ATE and surrounding area in the near future and just putting some routes into a plan of sorts. Since I'm not all too familiar with the area I'm looking for a bit of insider local knowledge to help me out, since the mapping doesn't really give a great idea of the nature of a route.

I know SP can be a bit of a mud-bath in some areas, and if I'm honest this isn't the sort of thing I am looking for. I've been there before and the day consisted mostly of driving through very deep and very muddy puddles! I'd like to know if there are any good technical and "interesting" lanes in the area.

Any information about such routes would be most appreciated. If you feel the need then feel free to PM locations.

Thanks

Byway maps online:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/communityandliving/rightsofway/publicrightsofwaymapping.htm

Closures:

http://php.wiltshire.gov.uk/row/closures/closure_search.php

MOD plans to change some lanes:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/DefenceEstateandEnvironmentPublications/AccessAndRecreation/SalisburyPlainAccessImprovementProject.htm

SPTA newsletter - don't go when red flags flying :)

http://www.urchfont-pc.gov.uk/News_and_Events/MOD_Salisbury_Plain_Newsletter.aspx

Top tips:

Do lots of research, get a GPS so you can pinpoint your location at any time, use OS maps - study beforehand to familiarise and use them on site. I use a MemoryMap2800=GPS and OS map unit in one :)

Most lanes are non technical and just rutted. Big mud holes can be driven around.

Take a kettle and stove, brew up and enjoy the views!!

I'd certainly agree with DrRob, navigation on the plain is very difficult without a GPS, preferably Memory map type.

There are lots of military tracks not marked on the OS maps and obviously out of bounds. easy to stray if your not concentrating.

Nothing realy technical on the plain itself although there are some more "interesting" lanes to the south.

There's enough driving to keep you busy for a couple of days or more, so take your pick.

Worth a stop at Imber if you've not been before.

When are you down ? We'll be out around the end of the month.

Thanks chaps. I am familiar with the existence of the routes and how to find them, though the links with regard to closures and MOD activity are useful thanks. We will have plenty of nav kit with us so getting lost or ending up on the MOD Cat1 tracks shouldn't be an issue :)

Heading out at the end of December.

James,

Steve (BPMan) has been doing some driving days over the last few months on the plains, it may be worth you speaking to him and getting a copy of the routes.

Jason.

Look out for the new Permissive Byways that have green signs with a tank on them. You can drive them - part of Project Ubique. Lots between Bulford and Tidworth which is my favourite part of the Plain as its more wooded and less exposed to elements.

Be careful as at the moment a lot of the new signs are not clearly on the tracks and there is a lot of changes going on under the 72 land act so do you research and don't rely on paper maps, the great British army wardens I there big white trucks don't f%ck around if you get it wrong mate!

Be careful as at the moment a lot of the new signs are not clearly on the tracks and there is a lot of changes going on under the 72 land act so do you research and don't rely on paper maps, the great British army wardens I there big white trucks don't f%ck around if you get it wrong mate!

I'll second that.....marked-car Police stopped me last time out as they "thought" I was 100yards off track....they were cool as they could see I was not taking the p*ss - maps and digital plotter (MemMap2800) on board. I knew I was right but not worth arguing over! In the end they asked us for a favour "Keep an eye out for a Husky dog that someone lost a week ago"!! :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

The West of the Plain has no byways to drive, only thing worth seeing is Imber when it's open. Dates are in the Newsletter. Anyone can subscribe to it. You need to speak/mail Julie Bowles and she'll put you on the distribution list.

You can have a muddy day out very easily on the Plain or you can just as easy avoid the mudf. There are lots of rarely driven lanes on ther Plain. People tend to use the main byways rather than thinking ourtsoide of the box and doing some research and exploring.

Not sure where the poster got the info about not getting lost or driving the Cat 1 tracks from. Cat 1 tracks are permissive roads on the Plain. You have no legal right to drive them but the military do allow you to. They can be shut without notice and you have no recourse.

Go to the Defender 2 forum and there are regular run outs across the Plain for anyone to join. Failing that look at the definitive map and do your own research. Project Ubique hasn't kicked in yet. But there are new signs at the end of all the affected byways declaring the intention with that lane.

HTH

• 1 year later...