webasto fuel pump

Bluemoon

do you have to use a webasto fuel pump for webasto heaters , or can you use a generic fuel pump, the cost of webasto fuel pumps lately is short of criminal, I know they are dosing pumps, but are there any suitable other pumps out there, cheers for any info in advance.

Brian

I don't understand Meccano's comment - both Webasto & Eberspacher are dosing and work on "one pulse = one squirt of X millilitres of fuel". Both will probably tell you in the manual how much it is per squirt, I suspect going for a different pump that gives the wrong amount would lead to problems as the heater has no good way of knowing how well things are burning.

On the flipside, any pump that delivers X ml of fuel for one 12v pulse should work as long as the amount is right.

Using a normal (constant delivery) fuel pump would be rather tricky unless you pressurized a line & then let "squirts" past using a solenoid or EFI fuel injector. Seems more hassle than it's worth though.

Fridge... Good luck finding those values in a manual. Webato and Eberspacher don't broadcast it.

I was refering to the comment of a generic fuel pump... aka a continous flow car pump. Which you can't just connect up instead.

Yes if you know the value you could replicate it, and build a circuit to drive a contious pump in a pulse mode. or lash something up with an injector etc.. but continually dosing the thing with too much or even too little fuel and you will send it into a fault mode.

Which then means buying more kit to clear that.... when you can pick up a correct pump for £25-30

Also an eberspacher or webasto will only stroke once until the voltage is release.A generic pump may deliver multiple squirts in that pulse width duration.

Also webasto and eberspacher aren't easily interchangable... a webasto 3kw pump has a completely different flow rate to an eberspacher of the same kw rating.

Owned :P

Okay Eberspacher are a pain in the .....

Blue Moon What webasto do you have?

I think if you were to use a continous pump, you are best running it as its intended, with a slightly restrictive return.

Then tapping off the circuit with a solenoid valve ( operated by the heater) and a bleed valve to trim it in to the correct flow using the values in the above manual.

Actually scrap that, put the bleed valve in the return, and you effectively have an injection setup.

I think this is how the larger Night heaters work (+10kw)