Oxford Oil Cooled Arc Welder - What to do with it?

axlechorus

Dear All,

Acting as a mobile trollied chicane in the garage I have an old Oxford Arc Welder weighs an absolute Ton. Welding range is between 20 to 180 Amps and seems to all be there though it will need new cables and probably a re-wire of the plug I understand it to have been working prior to being placed in storage by the person who gave it to me.

Looking around these do seem to be rather desireable both as welders & to send to the scrap man for the Copper inside them. So I'm wondering what to do with it whether I will get more money selling it as a Welder that needs new wiring or breaking it for the Copper and taking that to the scrap man.

Any thoughts?

Ta

Ryck

post-13446-0-66197400-1356619843_thumb.jpg

Stripping the copper out is the most profitable way to scrap it, however, you will have to deal with oil to get to the windings.

Most profitable I expect is selling on eBay, certainly less agro.

Or you could keep it and use it, they are very satisfying to use.

Yes thats what I am not so keen on, considering how much it weighs there has to be a good amount of oil in there. Does anyone know how much value of copper is in there though?

Prices on Ebay seem very variable, does anyone know what it really is worth as a fair price?

I somehow think its a bit to powerful for what I am going to need in all fairness and not the most mobile.

Ta

The trouble is that the copper is wound around an iron core, it isn't just a handy lump in a box covered in oil. In order to get the copper out in a form that is clean enough to sell as copper scrap (clean, bright and free from contamination of other metals) the input is generally not worth it. If you burn it it will have soot on it, if you don't it will have lacquer on it. Our scrap man doesn't disassemble stuff like that, he weighs it as mixed metals.

It isn't too powerful for what you need you said yourself it goes down to 20 amps. This is a case for "they don't make em like they used to". However, if you don't use it then get rid, my choice would be eBay.

The trouble is that the copper is wound around an iron core, it isn't just a handy lump in a box covered in oil. In order to get the copper out in a form that is clean enough to sell as copper scrap (clean, bright and free from contamination of other metals) the input is generally not worth it. If you burn it it will have soot on it, if you don't it will have lacquer on it. Our scrap man doesn't disassemble stuff like that, he weighs it as mixed metals.

It isn't too powerful for what you need you said yourself it goes down to 20 amps. This is a case for "they don't make em like they used to". However, if you don't use it then get rid, my choice would be eBay.

Theyre fantastic welders, I presume it the same as our oxford that you can wire to single phase OR three phase.

I have seen smaller welders than this sell for 200+ at farm sales, maybe because they're good welders, or because the scrap men know theyre value. (5+ scrap men at every farm sale, pushes the price of old landrovers and vehicles up like mad)

We still use a 150amp Oxford, infact i learnt to weld with it. Fantastic welder, has much longer duty cycle than new jap welders.

It would be ludicrous to scrap it IMHO.

Many thanks for all your replies and apologises for my later reply (the forum wasn't posting as we know and then I was away). I think from all your posts that it is worth keeping and consequently it has been wheeled into the back corner of the garage for future use.

Apart from the cables what else would I require to get the welder going/service it before use? Also does anyone know where I can find a manual on how to use the welder and also I think one of the control knobs is missing as others on ebay seem to have 3 and I only have 2 on this one.

Best Wishes

Ryck