300tdi rubbish fuel consumption

lincsoldbird

Hi not long got a 300tdi auto 1994 123000 miles and the fuel consumption is rubbish.

Checked the pump timing and blocked of the EGR .

Changed the thermastat.

It has road tyres.

It also does not like starting first thing in the morning, seems to be sucking in air but I can not fine any leaks.

I have not had a 300tdi be for so don,t know if its down on power.

My last car a P38 did 30 local and 35 on a run and a 200tdi I had a few years back did 30 local and 40 on a run but that was manual and in a range rover.

I,m at a loss what to check nexst so I,m hoping some one can put me right.

we get about 40 on a run with ours(manual not auto) you say it's rubbish, what are you actualy getting? if it's in the 30s you will be about right. also what fuel are you using. i e cheap supermarket or decent stuff. if you can hear air being sucked in check intercooler pipes paticularly the one going to the inlet manifold, also you could check inlet manifold gasket, a very simple job. it may well benefit from a thorough service, sorry i can't be more helpfull.

ron.

hi

i had a 300 tdi disco auto and it was a alcoholic i couldnt afford to run it that was down to the auto box ithink

but now i have a 300 tdi defender and it runs on fumes on the main roads but up and down the mountain roads i still get about 25 - 30 to the gallon

hth brian

hi

i had a 300 tdi disco auto and it was a alcoholic i couldnt afford to run it that was down to the auto box ithink

but now i have a 300 tdi defender and it runs on fumes on the main roads but up and down the mountain roads i still get about 25 - 30 to the gallon

hth brian

I just did 3565 Kilometers through desert (Strezlecki and Stoney Deserts in South Australia) and total fuel used was 403.5 litres = 11.3 litres per 100 kilometers and given that we were in low gear for at least 20% of the time and hauling tent, camping equipment and a built-in 80 litre water tank the economy of the 300TDi is brilliant.

Poor starting and high consumption suggests to me that maybe the pump timing maybe out? Have you done the cam belt or has it been done recently? I ask as I was asked to look at a neighbors Defender with poor starting and the cam belt had stretched enough to alter pump timing as well as cam timing too!!! he's changing that now, but what about valve clearances too are they acceptable or does she seem tappety at all?

Check and if need be change the intake hoses/gaskets, also worth checking the intake pipe is not being drawn flat through the suction of the turbo, excessive smoke should be a give away but you never can tell.

Tyre pressures worth a look too.....

That sounds about right for a 300 auto. I used to have a 300 auto softdash RRC and used to avaerage around 20mpg just running about, and just about managed 25mpg on a long run. Fuel consumption was truely appauling whch was the main reason i got rid of it in the end.

The autobox is what kills it. The cam belt was replaced in my ownership, and the pump timing was spot on. The autobox was also rebuilt by Ashcrofts during the time I had it. None of which made the slightlest difference to the fuel consumption other than making for smoother gear shifts. I believe this is down to the fact that the torque converter doesnt lock up until over 2000rpm, so you end up trundling along at say 30mph in 3rd gearwith it running at over 200rpm, whereas in a manual you'd be in 5th with it just ticking over.

Jon

I dont agree with nightrider, I have a 300TDi with a Ashton modified stage 2 ZF4HP22 gearbox and I got 25 mpg over 2200 miles. That sort of economy for a 2500cc engine hauling 2.5 tonnes + luggage (tent, 80 litres of drinking water, 135 litres of fuel in a long range tank, and all other camping nessesities) through deep sandy deserts and rocky tracks --- 25 mpg is bloody good.

• 2 weeks later...

My 300 TDI auto is EDC and does 23mpg locally and a Max of 31mpg,(With my wife driving ! ) There is nothing wrong with it,goes very well,but does lots of short journeys with a trials bike in a trailer or on a rack - or loaded with firewood.

Its an excellent tool for off road and towing work,its not too clever as a cheap runabout.A 200TDI manual box Disco or RR Classic are the best for fuel consumption....

Our old RRC 200 TDI always managed 30,with a best of 37.5mpg on holiday around Devon. A fab car,wish I could find another that isnt rusted out.