Rare Td5 electrical problem

Hi, has anyone come across this electrical problem before?

With the ignition switched OFF I turn the headlights on and push the brake or put it into reverse, and the ignition turns itself on without the key! I've removed the reverse light fuse and this solves the problem but the battery light flashes instead of turning the ignition on.

I removed all the bulbs from the rear or the landy but it still happens, so it's not a dodgy bulb. Has anyone got any ideas??

Thanks.

Earth on one of your rear light clusters I would guess.

Rear lights come on regardless of ignition position (when working normally). Reverse or brake light are powered from an ignition feed.

Normally power flows from light switch through bulb to earth. Without the earth it flows through the bulb, then backwards through the reverse or stop light, through the reverse or stop switch and into the ignition live circuit. It will powere everything else connected to that circuit, all be it at reduced voltage.

Si

Earth's I had a similar issue a few months ago, it turned out to be a bad earth the truck wouldn't turn off and the lights stayed on all down to an earth fault.

Jason.

I know this sounds like a stupid question but is your handbrake OK?

The reason I ask is I had some weird electrical problems and it turned out a main earth (shell to gearbox) had snapped and the truck had been earthing it's self through the handbrake cable.