Burred nuts to rear prop shaft fixing to transmission brake.

kjn100

Hi

I am in the middle of changing the layshaft bearings to my series 3 swb. I have encountered a problem which I really appreciate any help with. I can't seem to loosen the 4 nuts fixing the rear prop shaft to the transmission brake. It seems that a some time someone has had a go at removing the rear prop as three of the four nuts have rounded / burred and consequently I can't seem to get them undone. The thread or stud projects over the head of the nut so I am unable to weld a nut to them to be able to loosen.

This has resulted in me removing the gearbox with the rear prop still attached - however I am now stuck as I am unable to remove the transfer box whilts the rear prop remains in-situ.

Anyone have any ideas or experience in dealing with this.... I would be very very very appreciative. Photos below:

Many thanks.

post-46986-0-11272700-1359492204_thumb.jpgpost-46986-0-41616500-1359492210_thumb.jpgpost-46986-0-26484800-1359492217_thumb.jpgpost-46986-0-54969100-1359492223_thumb.jpg

Get a Carbide burr, and using a rotary tool of your choice, carefully grind the nuts off

Carbide burrs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=carbide+burr&_sacat=0&_from=R40

This is the rotary tool/ die grinder I have, its cheap but its done endless jobs and still going very strong

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Straight-Inline-Air-Die-Grinder-with-Tools-5-Grinding-Stones-2-Spanners-Car-/110886322827?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item19d157028b

WEAR EYE PROTECTION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

And then get new bolts :D

http://www.paddockspares.com/prbnut-propshaft-nut-and-bolt.html

this seems a good excuse to get some Irwin bolt extractors! :)

Seconded! I borrowed some from a friend and they work brilliantly. Shame about the price, but you get what you pay for, and it avoids the cost of replacing parts that get damaged by drills, grinders and whatnot, and saves a lot of time. Of course, they'll be there waiting next time you have a bad nut or bolt, too.

Seconded! I borrowed some from a friend and they work brilliantly. Shame about the price, but you get what you pay for, and it avoids the cost of replacing parts that get damaged by drills, grinders and whatnot, and saves a lot of time. Of course, they'll be there waiting next time you have a bad nut or bolt, too.

absolutely!! if i think anything will put up a fight, ill use to bolt extractors. save so much hassle. :i-m_so_happy:

3rded on the Irwins.

Although they use to do an imperial and metric set (even though they claim they do both) If one failed the other would always do it.

I found the trick was an a long extension bar to steady them, and stop them twisting off.