Defender 110 td5 year 2000

alfy

Hi guys - new here, LR4x4.com - first post

few weeks ago rear wiper stopped working - no real issue - but

this week the indicators stopped and also temp gauge, fuel gauge,and speedo -

checked the fuse box ( f8 blown ) 3rd from right !!! (10 amp )

changed it - all ok for 2 days --- then it blew again !

now it keeps blowing all the time - I dis -connected most things -- wiper sw, all gauge's , relays, stalks --

but still blows

Any ideas chaps

Thanks

alfy

There's a short somewhere. Disconnect every wire from the fuse output and then reconnect them one at a time to find the faulty circuit. Once you have done that, you need to systematically work through that circuit - I'd start by disconnecting the other end of that feed wire and connecting it to the fuse; if it blows, you know the fault is in that wire, if it doesn't, add the next component in the circuit (but disconnected at its other end), so you gradually work through that circuit proving each component as you go until the fuse blows - as soon as the fuse blows, you have found your bad component.

Thanks - i have dis all the wires from the rear door / stalks, all dash dials - still the fuse blows, not sure what fuse 8 covers - apart from the rear wiper -

the LR manual mentions haz lights -- but these work ok

fuse 8 details of what it feeds is limited in the manual !!!

Thx

Not, it's an unknown earth behind the dashboard, but it's facing the interior of the car. I mean, you have to take all the plastic things to reach all the cables and this earth point. I had this exact problem during 2 years, had to disarm all the car in order to fix it, because the car started juddering after a while blowing fuses...

Hi I checked the fuse box F8 -- all intact, all earths seem ok,

Does not seem to be an earth issue - as it blows the fuse straight away ( a direct short )

Theres a white wire input into F8 from ing 12v+, on the other side of F8 theres a thiner white wire go away to ??????????

I have checked and its got a direct short to earth !!! ( fault )

Q - where does this thiner white wire go to >>>>> is it to a relay if so where is it located ??

Thanks

alfy

my small brain hurts now - maybe I got it wrong

fuse box that sits at the dash / gearbox

theres 20 fuses / 2 rows of 10

its on the top row ---8th from left / or 3rd from right

thick white wire in and thin white out ( 10 amp )

thx

alfy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps - tried everything still ongoing issue - had an auto electrician check it - he said he repaired the loom - and now the fuse does not blow

- but now after a week -- >>

when i brake the rear indicators also light up / when i indicate the brake lights also flash - also the warning lights on the dash also flash even the water in fuel light

very strange --- maybe an earth issue at the rear !!!!!!!

any ideas

thanks alfy

thanks - yes I have tow bar / electrics - will check

the latest - the fuse's started to blow again ( indicators -dash gauges , fuse blows when I indicate left ) and the brake fuse blows when i apply brakes !!!

fed up now -

alfy

The towing electrics are simply plugged in, reach up behind a plastic cover above the crossmember behind the LH rear wheel and unplug it to see if the problem goes away.

If not, remove the cover panel at the LH rear inside the back door and you'll see the wiring loom and variuos plgs where it branches off. Carefully check the loom and the plugs for chaffing, there should be enough slack to pull it through the grommets for a good look.

If you can't find anything it could be chaffing inside the chassis as Aragorn says, I've seen it before but on a much older vehicle. Only cure is to full it out, repair it and run it along the top of the chassis.