Drive Flange

Frax

I think Ashcrofts do HD versions for both the later axles (24 spline diff, thin flange) and early (10-spline diff, thick flange).

Correct-- in standard form http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=354 or nice shiney form http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60

I take it that I am right in saying that an 1987 petrol 90 would have a 10 spline. I am only checking as I am not at home just now.

I just wondered as I was hunting and found some old 10 spline shafts but they had nuts on the end instead of the circlip, the one I have has a circlip.

CrazyWabbit are you also working nights ? :ph34r:

I take it that I am right in saying that an 1987 petrol 90 would have a 10 spline. I am only checking as I am not at home just now.

I just wondered as I was hunting and found some old 10 spline shafts but they had nuts on the end instead of the circlip, the one I have has a circlip.

CrazyWabbit are you also working nights ? :ph34r:

Should be at that age yes, but that assumes everything is original! Series III (at least, perhaps earlier ones too) 10 spline shafts had a castellated nut on the end, but 90/110 models use circlips.

Ross: All 90/110 drive flanges are 24-spline technically, but when people say 10 or 24 in this context they are referring to the diff-to-shaft joint. The half shaft/CV-to-flange joints are all 24 spline. And the shaft/cv joints at the front were 23 or 32.

Thanks Western - Is it 10 or 24 at the drive flange ?

I am now confused - easy I know Retroanoconda, Are you saying all drive flanges on 90's are 24 spline then as it is the drive flange I am going to change.

Good to know - I will go and order a set of 4.

Its a long story but when I rebuilt my Defender 300tdi I fitted the front axle from a 90 as I had just fitted a full set of bearings and seals to it.

Still have the 300tdi axle which I could overhall and fit at some point.

Thank you for all the info.

The joint between the half shaft (or CV joint on the front) and the drive shaft itself is 24 spline on all 90/110 models.

The confusion arises because the general shift from earlier axles to later ones is usually defined as "10 spline" and "24 spline" axles, this was one of the many changes made at that time and refers to the diff/shaft joint as above. The thickness of the drive flanges was another point that changed at the same time, as well as hub thickness, stub axles, swivels, etc. etc.

Earlier axles have 10-spline diffs and thick drive flanges. Later axles have 24-spline diffs and thin flanges.

Both have 24 splines at the flange joint, though it is probably better not to reference them by this to avoid such confusion. Early/late or thick/thin as above is most often used.

Should be at that age yes, but that assumes everything is original! Series III (at least, perhaps earlier ones too) 10 spline shafts had a castellated nut on the end, but 90/110 models use circlips.

Ross: All 90/110 drive flanges are 24-spline technically, but when people say 10 or 24 in this context they are referring to the diff-to-shaft joint. The half shaft/CV-to-flange joints are all 24 spline. And the shaft/cv joints at the front were 23 or 32.

I know all that James ;), hence my post :P

• 1 year later...

Aaaargh - I'm really confused now. I was looking to replace my tatty old worn drive flanges with the HD ones with nut on so I can fill with slippery stuff and keep the shaft end well lubed.

What do I need for a 1989 110? It's Salisbury rear axle, drums and whatever the front would be for that vintage. All is as-was from new as it's not been changed.

Retroanaconda said:

"Earlier axles have 10-spline diffs and thick drive flanges. Later axles have 24-spline diffs and thin flanges."

I've read several descriptions on various vendors sites but it's only made me more confused, but I gather its thick type to '94 and thin type after that?

So I take it I need thick flanges as opposed to the thin type?

All 110 drive flanges are 24 spline. On your 1989 model, the rear axles will be 24 spline at both ends. The front axle will be 10 spline at the diff, 23 spline at the CV joint and 24 spline at the flange. The flanges will all be the thick type.

All 110 drive flanges are 24 spline. On your 1989 model, the rear axles will be 24 spline at both ends. The front axle will be 10 spline at the diff, 23 spline at the CV joint and 24 spline at the flange. The flanges will all be the thick type.

Thanks Red - that's cleared that up!