Heated windscreens

Snagger

When I bought mine, rather reluctantly from Devon, they couldn't tell me the current draw, how to wire it (series or parallel, timed or constant) or anything like that. Ended up putting them wired in series and just on a toggle switch, takes a little while to get going but keeps things clear enough. Been meaning to revisit the setup and sort it out properly since, um, well, since I built the truck! :unsure:

EJ, I'm not trying to taunt you, I'm just getting bored of clearing the screen manually, then having it freeze up in fog within 30 seconds! The heated mirrors work a treat, and ironically my wife's new 90 has a wonderful heated screen but not the mirrors, so will be getting the mod soon.

Does anyone have an contacts so we could organise a forum group buy?

When I bought mine, rather reluctantly from Devon, they couldn't tell me the current draw, how to wire it (series or parallel, timed or constant) or anything like that. Ended up putting them wired in series and just on a toggle switch, takes a little while to get going but keeps things clear enough. Been meaning to revisit the setup and sort it out properly since, um, well, since I built the truck! :unsure:

Series wiring would really make them sluggish. Parallel wiring should make them vastly more effective.

EJ, I'm not trying to taunt you, I'm just getting bored of clearing the screen manually, then having it freeze up in fog within 30 seconds! The heated mirrors work a treat, and ironically my wife's new 90 has a wonderful heated screen but not the mirrors, so will be getting the mod soon.

Does anyone have an contacts so we could organise a forum group buy?

lol I know how you feel! I can clear my screen on the drive, and have it fugged up by the time I get to the end of the road, and the series heater won't clear it! I even considered just fitting a drivers side one....

The Series 2 club has done 2 group buys now that I know of, but I'm not in the Series 2 club. If there was to be a group buy again, I'd probably look seriously at it this time....problem is I've 2 Series 3's! Well...and the 2a.....

I'd like to do heated mirrors, and they're not that expensive. But the couple of times I've tried to change glasses in the mirrors its been a complete disaster! If someone stocked them ready made up I'd be happy, but I know now that taking the old glass out would end in disaster, and putting a new one in, the seal/retainer strip never goes back right :(

I use a kettle of very warm (just a bit hotter than comfortable to leave your fingers in) to pour over the strip for removal, and then imerse the strip for a couple of minutes in the water before assembly - it makes it very malleable. You wouldn't want to pour such warm water on a freezing day onto the mirror for disassembly - you'd need to do a tepid pour first to reduce the thermal shock on the glass.