Building an MS1 board

dirtyninety

Hi there,

the same as many before me, i have been overcome with the constant answer on these forums "'squirt it Mr"

So before the 4x4 show last weekend i contacted Nige/Megasquirt V8 and organised to pick up a self build MS1 ECU kit.

It is now thursday, and ive got the majority of parts soldered in, and its working according to the tests ive run.

I haven't spent every woken minute on this board, perhaps only 3hours. It really has been made terribly simple.

I am building this board to FridgeFreezer spec.

v3components_minimal.png

I have taken lots of photos, but currently cannot find my data cable amongst the serial cables and soldering irons.

lots more to come, including quite a few questions.

right now, im off to the pub!

Pah, I just posted this in the other thread but I'll spam it here as well for reference:

I also updated the drawing, Q19 is not fitted either.

Found a pic, it's not exactly as per my drawing but close enough.

Wires are tacked down with superglue, then the whole thing is cleaned & conformal-coated when done. D1 is heat-shrink insulated here. Wire is enamelled copper, someone thought I'd used bare wire once, that wouldn't work!

v3_edis_minimods.jpg

(and yes I know the MAP sensor isn't soldered in in this pic)

Fridge, you sir, are a GOD!

Does it matter that i HAVE soldered Q19 in? should i unsolder that?

Also, I've seen an old transformer in one of my many box's so going to harvest the enamelled wire from that.

I have taken some photo's in fairly good steps, will post up shortly if i get bluetooth to work or find my data cable.

Q19 is not a big issue, it's the over-current protection for the fuel pump relay coil, but they sometimes* burn themselves out from being over-protective.

I wouldn't bother unwinding a transformer, just get some bell wire from maplin/RS etc., it doesn't look quite so neat but it's much easier to solder (the enamelled wire is tricky to do).

I'll try and get the TIP122 in the post today.

* = This is all relative, MS is very reliable, and of the few failures I see it's hard to tell how many are down to owner errors in wiring etc.

IMG_20130218_203136.jpg

IMG_20130218_205218.jpg

IMG_20130219_193957.jpg

IMG_20130219_194009.jpg

Beer is a must!

IMG_20130221_193452.jpg

IMG_20130221_212449.jpg

IMG_20130222_122532.jpg

And that is where I am upto, just awaiting some extra components and bridging wire :)

When testing to see if i had accidently soldered the legs of q19 together, my multimeter tells me the bottom and middle legs are connected, but im sure as hell that they're not soldered together.

I have looked up the datasheets for the particular transistor on digikey, but I cant find anything to tell me if those legs are internally connected.

anybody know?

Q19's legs are not internally connected, but depending on how you test it it may seem like it. Try reversing the probes, or using the diode test mode. Solder wick is very handy for sorting those out, the footprint they use is terrible for hand soldering.

Also, use less heat-sink compound when putting the other devices on the heat-sink, you only need a tiny smear of it not a dollop.

Right, well i can see a clear line of blue between the solder pads, and ive even given it a little scratch with the tip of a probe to clear any very small bridges.

Reversed the probs and it still seems connected. None of the other transistors (of the same type) behave like this. Will buy some solder wick and remove.

Ah.. im not using the thermal grease that comes with the kit, ive been upgrading the CPU's in computers and have a some HY750 left over.

I do admit I squeezed the syringe a bit hard!

Haha, its two cold at the moment to go in the workshop to solder, my space heater would blow all the components away!

Pictures are taken on my HTC wildfire, the quality is terrible because its been cracked and running cyanogen mod 7 (basically a different firmware so you can do cool/nerdy things with it)

That makes it MUCH more clear!

Do you think the 0.6mm bell wire (current rating 1.8amps) is heavy enough gauge to bridge R43? My MOV1 offcuts seem to be too short!

Also, do you place the componant into the board from the top side, then solder 1 leg in to hold it in place then do a full solder on the backside after populating?

After the transistors are soldered and mods finished, I should be ready to plug my stim in and give it a test on the 'puter, or are there and safe(er) tests i can do first to check things are good?

I tell you.. the MIG torch in the shed is much more forgiving!

Also, do you place the componant into the board from the top side, then solder 1 leg in to hold it in place then do a full solder on the backside after populating?

If I'm building up any circuit board I tend to insert components from the top side and then splay the legs slightly to hold them in place. Then I'll turn over the board and solder one leg of each component on the back of the board, then take a quick look at the top to ensure all is still pretty, if anything is out of place I just put my finger on it while heating the soldered leg which allows me to straighten it up. When happy I'll solder the other legs up, I tend to place components in batches starting with small components then working up to the bigger ones.

Legs from D5, D7, L1 & L2 are handy too (I think I may have done too many!). If you have a short piece of solid copper wire (EG from twin & earth mains wire) that will fit then that would do, TBH the bell wire would probably be OK, especially if you strip the insulation off.

I do the mods 1st, then bung everything on from the top and solder one leg, flip it over, recover the one capacitor I missed soldering from on the floor, then solder everything from underneath.

For testing, the stim is fine - 1st test is safer without plugging the PC in, just see if it will power up & not let the smoke out, by default you should have a running board. If that works, plug it into the PC, run megatune, check all the dials work.

If I'm building up any circuit board I tend to insert components from the top side and then splay the legs slightly to hold them in place. Then I'll turn over the board and solder one leg of each component on the back of the board, then take a quick look at the top to ensure all is still pretty, if anything is out of place I just put my finger on it while heating the soldered leg which allows me to straighten it up. When happy I'll solder the other legs up, I tend to place components in batches starting with small components then working up to the bigger ones.

That is how I've been doing it, except one componant at a time to make sure Im not mixing componants up. I've only made two mistakes with building this board tho.

Legs from D5, D7, L1 & L2 are handy too (I think I may have done too many!). If you have a short piece of solid copper wire (EG from twin & earth mains wire) that will fit then that would do, TBH the bell wire would probably be OK, especially if you strip the insulation off.

I do the mods 1st, then bung everything on from the top and solder one leg, flip it over, recover the one capacitor I missed soldering from on the floor, then solder everything from underneath.

For testing, the stim is fine - 1st test is safer without plugging the PC in, just see if it will power up & not let the smoke out, by default you should have a running board. If that works, plug it into the PC, run megatune, check all the dials work.

Thanks again Fridge, got plenty of twin and earth in the shed, probably should have already thought of that!

In hindsight/ asked questions before I started soldering, Id have done the mod's first for a neater board. But that only comes with experience, which you have lots of, and I have none. Next board (yes the next one, don't think Im going to be able to help myself 'squirting something else) Ill do any mods first.

I did the first tests as described on megamanual and all was well, so if everything else is well Im hoping the smoke should stay inside!