Nigelw

Ok so which one is it?

571 910

caliper fixing, Bolt, '7 / 16 "', UNF 4

price

FTC3375

caliper fixing, Bolt, M12 x 35 4

price

These are the two part numbers for the caliper fixing bolts on Disco 1 But I want to get new ones in stock before I try to remove the old ones and If they are UNF then I will have to oreder them in!!

So who can narrow it down on a 1992 Discovery1? UNF or M12?

buy both on sale or return

You are kidding right!!!

UNF nuts and bolts here are more expensive than gold!!!

They are the double hex twelve point star bolts so I assume they would be M12?

I would do the download of microcat but have not the foggiest where it might be located?

They're only tightened to 60'lb, which isn't a huge amount for a bolt that size, and the thread lock should protect the threads from rusting, so they should be in good enough condition for re-use. I consider myself mildly paranoid, but I re-use my calliper bolts with a fresh drop of thread lock.

Do you regularly round them off or something?

I don't believe they are stretch bolts...

No, only just began to attack them now I have spares and all my parts for the stub axle swapping, but I know how it goes with me unfortunately, I usually end up having to do the grinding off and sourcing new ones, it seems to be the way it goes, I always seem to be the guy who buys the neglected car feeling sorry for it then pay the price for others neglect which usually means trying to undo rusty bolts that have not seen a spanner in a good many years!!!

I am extremely paranoid about being stuck on a Sunday afternoon with only a broken bolt being between me and the open road and as they don't like imperial bolts or threads here it can be a wait for them to order them in too, even LR Belgium carry fu*k all stock of nuts bolts and washers!!!

OK :)

A good deep 12-point socket socket helps with this in my experience, less chance of being at an angle than with an extension bar, and long enough to clear the caliper with the ratchet handle.

On my J-reg Disco it was M12 fine thread! And 12 point....gaa

Do yourself a favour, buy some spares from a UK supplier if necessary - LRseries will pop this kind of thing in jiffy bag if you ask for a postage quote.

When you get them, sacrifice one as a thread chaser bolt - run a 1mm angle grinder disc down the shaft twice (forming a cross with bolt viewed end on). Douse your bolt with WD-40 and wind slowly in. You'll be amazed at the crud you remove. This is half the battle - plenty of people (whether new or old bolts) just wind the bolts back in, having only removed the crud from the bit they took out! Then wonder why the bolts appear to be corroded in place!

On my J-reg Disco it was M12 fine thread! And 12 point....gaa

Do yourself a favour, buy some spares from a UK supplier if necessary - LRseries will pop this kind of thing in jiffy bag if you ask for a postage quote.

When you get them, sacrifice one as a thread chaser bolt - run a 1mm angle grinder disc down the shaft twice (forming a cross with bolt viewed end on). Douse your bolt with WD-40 and wind slowly in. You'll be amazed at the crud you remove. This is half the battle - plenty of people (whether new or old bolts) just wind the bolts back in, having only removed the crud from the bit they took out! Then wonder why the bolts appear to be corroded in place!

Now that is a top tip!!!

Worthy of a virtual pint of your choice, cheers ;)

I have found a bottle of loctite but they do colors here, and it is blue or red and they only had blue not the red(243?) as I remember always using red in the past!