my 1st disco, newbie service,

gavfurn

Hi fellas, I've finally got my first disco, got a few cluncks an creeks, but what can I say love it, I want give it a service,(prefer to KNOW its bin don't) with cars its easy. Oil and filters. But never gave one to a 4x4 where do I start and what do I need change, assuming there's more to it than a car, any advice please

When I buy a new Landy that has a dubious or unknown past I do the following.

Engine oil and filter

Fuel filter

Air filter

Gearbox oil

Transferbox oil

Grease props

Axle oil

One shot swivel grease

Check wheel bearings

Check brake pads and lubricate caliper pistons making sure they are free

Check steering system for play including oiling colum ujs

Check power steering fluid

Drain flush and refill coolant with 50/50 mix

Check all lights and electrical bits

Oil door hinges, grease latches, wd40 barrels

Silicon spray window tracks

Oil seat runners

Check clutch and brake fluid replace if dirty

Check low box/difflock works and is free, oil linkages

Check and adjust handbrake (I like 3 ish clicks)

Check clutch pedel height on a defender

Check all bushes for play

Adjust heater cables on a defender

Torque wheel nuts

Quick tracking check

Check battery water levels, connections are clean and tight and cover with coppa slip or Vaseline

If its a Tdi I also decat, remove egr clean intercooler and inlet manifold and check intercooler hoses.

Check all brake pipes and unions replace dodgy ones then wire wool and coppaslip others

I also usually do the cambelt on a Tdi for peace of mind.

After that its worth looking at protecting the metalwork.

I realise that is a big list but working methodicaly its not a huge task and will make a nice difference to your vehicle aswell as getting to know it.

Its abit like turning a house into a home.

Will.

Awesome post by Muddy there!

If you intend keeping it, I would say it's worth buying a few consumables in bulk;

Engine oil & EP90 buy 20L drums from a wholesaler (I vote Smith & Allen, 10% off if you "like" them on bookface :glare: ) then you always have some round to do an oil change. As the engine takes more than one 5L tub at a time, bulk buying is well worth it.

Filters - buy a few oil, air & fuel filters so you have spares handy.

Buy a decent grease gun (I vote a used Wanner one from eBay as they're lovely quality) and a 5L plant sprayer for the EP90 as it's the easiest way to get oil into axles & things.

If you have stuff on the shelf it's a quick & easy thing to do a basic service when you've got a little spare time, it also means that if you go off-road and abuse it you can put it right before it deteriorates & breaks. #1 thing is to wash it (underneath), re-grease everything and check all the oils for contamination if you've been in mud & water. This will stop a lot of issues, or at least help you spot them before something goes bang.

Do discos have a dip stick for gearbox oil couple people said all 4x4 have but struggling find it? Guys really appreciate it all, yeah man I plan on keeping it, but afraid it will have to be pay as you go at the mo an do it bit at a time, money gone really tight, what engine oil and gear box oil do I need??

Autos have a gearbox dipstick, manuals don't. I'm not telling you where & what oil, that's IN THE MANUAL!

And if you don't have the manual, the official Land Rover (RAVE) manuals are pinned for download at the top of the part numbers forum ;)

As FF says get the RAVE manual (CD) it along with the excellent tech/how to guides on here should see you through and obviously the forums are great for those odd little faults that dispite your best efforts you cant find - someone will have had it and fixed it.

And make sure you've got decent recovery insurance :)

I've downloaded it, but I carn't copy/burn to disc yet, may laptop hasn't got a disc drive, so will have to do it at my bro's.

I remember reading on here somewhere about sockets I'll need, very few go above 20 ish, never needed them, but I carn't on the life of me find it again, any clues???

I must say I have two defenders, two discos, dad has a 110 and FIL has a 110 so I have plenty of stuff to look after. I always buy all my oils in 25L drums, brake fluid buy the 5L etc.

It will cost you a lot in the first place but its worth it.

I would buy a 3/4" breaker bar and 19mm 24mm 27mm 30mm and 32mm sockets to Fit that will cover most bases. Halfords do reasonable quality stuff and its a decent price with a trade card.

Will.

man!!!! Driving today, disco went bit sluggish looked behind and man the black cloud that I saw reminded me of the old cartoons I watched as a kid, when they ran and left the cloud behind, please tell me this ain't that bad??? That when I get the service done this weekend it'll go????