200tdi bad at starting

Hi I got a 200 disco engine in my 90 and its a pain to get going in the morning.

When I try and start it it fires straight away for a split second then dies it then takes alot of cranking to get it going again. to the point where it flattens the battery but if I put another battery on it will start.

I have replaced the battery and tried disconnecting it during the night and connecitng it in the morning this has no affect I also changed the fuel filter cleaned all the earth points and starter has been replaced twice.

Once it has started in the morning it will be fine all day but if I leave it for some time a few hours it somtimes struggles to start again. I do get it some heat before I try and start it usually about 20seconds before I crank it.

Anyone got any ideas.

I am ordered some glow plugs as I have never changed them.

Somewhere its leaking back then. Check all the hoses for perishing on the outside for starters, I've got a rubber hose in very poor state, must change it. Then check all the jubilee clips (where fitted) are tight How long ago was the filter changed? If recent just check it hasn't got two large O rings in there (the old stuck on top of the new).

Check the injector leak-off pipes. I've had these exact symptoms several times on both my 200Tdis, every time it has been the banjo bolts connecting the leak-off pipes to the injectors working loose. Tightening them up solves it, though once I had to buy new copper washers as well. Don't over-tighten the bolts, they snap very easily!

Mine started doing a similar thing, turns out the there was a loose connection on the pipe that runs from the fuel filter into the lift pump, A few turns at the lift pump end to tighten it, and she fires up instantly now

And mine was also after an engine swap, so it is likely that something , is either loose or not seling properly

Dan