This weekend at the Belgium National

GBMUD

NB: The pictures are a bit big... Avarage size about 850k and the size of a tennis court. At least you can coose to see them or not. :)

This last weekend was the Belguim National 2006. This year there were only 200 cars allowed in, 100 less than in previous years. The difference was that there was a lot less queueing for the off-road sites, dinner etc., and there was room to camp without upsetting the Germans who seem to arrive and then reserve space - whoever said it was stereotyping? :)

Before we had even arrived there was a problem. Can you spot Simon's deliberate mistake?

post-209-1158691505_thumb.jpg

As sson as we arrived on site and set up the tents we did something very stereotypically English and Mark made some tea.

post-209-1158691849_thumb.jpg

And Si made an adjustment which he said improved the handling and feel a lot.

post-209-1158691953_thumb.jpg

After a dinner of lasagne we enjoyed the night roadbook. As soon as we arrived at the off-road site Tim broke down with a mysterious fault. When he turned the key to start with the lights on, it was like having a flat battery. When the engine did eventually start (lights off), the engine ran very badly and cut out as soon as the lights were turned on. Even with the lights off, when the engine was running the rear lights, all of them, were on. Tim managed to get off the track and park in a patch of nettles to effect repairs - his co-driver Mark (Savage) and I had our shorts on. We knew it was an earth fault but could not tell what. Eventually, after some time, my chauffeur for the weekend Diesel Dave arrived and towed us out but by now it was after midnight and we decided that, since the car would just about drive with the lights off, we would do better to effect repairs in daylight.

The following day it was like the mice on the mouse organ - "We will fix it, we will fix it". Everyone chipped to help and soon the car was in pieces...

post-209-1158692592_thumb.jpg

There was no evident problem with the main earths and so we went for breakfast and a think. Some strong coffee and croissants later we returned to the problem. The fault turned out to be a loose earth connection on the engine side of the bulkhead, just by the brake servo. As soon as it was mended normal service was resumed. Much to Tim's relief.

Saturday morning saw my favourite part of the National, the trial.

SeriousIIa wallowing in the mud.

post-209-1158692934_thumb.jpg

NAS90 Dave and Scott.

post-209-1158693015_thumb.jpg

SimonR

post-209-1158693051_thumb.jpg

TJ101 managed to cock-up a simple bridge crossing... :)

post-209-1158693112_thumb.jpg

After the trial we enjoyed a roadbook which lasted the reat of the day and took in a couple of sites including the famous quarry. Sadly Si discovered that he had damaged the crownwheel of his front diff and was not able to come along. He had an afternoon of fishing for lost teeth in EP90 with a magnet. :(

Here is Mark thinking about his home dungeon.

post-209-1158693412_thumb.jpg

Now that's a tyre! Who will be first, Dollythelw or Bathtub Pete?

post-209-1158693524_thumb.jpg

Diesel Dave enjoying the quarry course.

post-209-1158693633_thumb.jpg

Saturday night saw another fine dinner, free Chimay, a film show and some fireworks. Then a huge bonfire was lit, the likes of which I have never seen! A few more drinks and we staggered back to camp and bed.

Sunday morning saw a slightly different format to previous years. Rather than getting a roadbook we were led round to another part of the event site and did a drive round course around there.

They do recovery differently in the foreign.

post-209-1158694076_thumb.jpg

At one point the marshal had the wire winch cable looped round the digger arm and clipped back onto itself. We explaned the error of his ways.

With a bit of passion Tim, NAS90 and Diesel Dave managed to negotiate the same slope without need for the digger. NIgel needed help though and we later found out why. He had broken a half shaft - which gave another opportunity for repairs by committee.. and use of an X-shaft, modeled here by Diesel Dave.

post-209-1158694429_thumb.jpg

It was still early and we had the opportunity of a road book from the Adventure course the day before but, knowing how dusty that was likely to be, all but NAS90 passed and we decided to hang around camp and watch the trial course going for an hour and a bit until lunch. After lunch we headed off for the ferry.. but the fun was not over yet!

When Tim, Mark, Brian the camp guard and I left the others at Clackets lane services on the M25 to begin the long journey west we all thought we would be back by bedtime. A trailer tyre blowing out on the M25 at about 930 saw to that. Mark and I re-arranged some cones and stood about in high-viz clothes while Tim and Brian attended to the puncture.

post-209-1158694825_thumb.jpg

post-209-1158694874_thumb.jpg

Unfortunatly, either the same thing that damaged the front tyre or the front tyre de-laminating caused damage to the rear tyre too and so, as soon as we could get off the motorway we stopped, investigated, discovered that the AA would be 2 hours and even then only send ATS to overcharge us. Tim decided that it would be best to drive the hybrid back while putting two good tyres on the back of the trailer, adjusting the hitch up high so the all the weight was on the back and towing that empty. I understand that they all got back safe after dropping me off.

Thanks chaps for a great weekend. :)

Chris

Before we had even arrived there was a problem. Can you spot Simon's deliberate mistake?

don't surpose i am allowed to guess :D

post-209-1158692592_thumb.jpg

There was no evident problem with the main earths and so we went for breakfast and a think. Some strong coffee and croissants later we returned to the problem. The fault turned out to be a loose earth connection on the engine side of the bulkhead, just by the brake servo. As soon as it was mended normal service was resumed. Much to Tim's relief.

well done Chris & thank you guys

post-209-1158693112_thumb.jpg

TJ101 managed to cock-up a simple bridge crossing... :)

Yep, down to me, should not have been listing to the "expert" offroad Belgium marshall,, :angry:

A very enjoyable weekend, all the more better with the fine company from this forum, even with the camp guards( :lol: )Brian,s little problems !!

bit of an axle locating issue then?

Well,,,nearly!

I made some adjustable length radius arms - but forgot to adjust them to be the same length. Doh! It resulted in a bit of a crabbing thing going on. Shortened one on the thread by 30mm and all was fine!

Si

Hi Chris,

Thanx for sharing! Already thought I recognized a few cars from this forum. Even spotted Simon (or he me :blink: )

Had a good time. And tested my Toyo axles thoroughly, and they stayed in one piece. Even made the hill on the trial course (where the disco is pictured with winch cable fitted to the excavator) without lockers. completely bouncing up and down for grip (normally this would have costed me at least one axle part but probably more) So had a great time!

Also made a few pics:

bn2.jpg

bn4.jpg

bn6.jpg

bn10.jpg

bn11.jpg

bn9.jpg

bn13.jpg

bn12.jpg

more pics on my site: Serious IIa

Also had an blowout on the trailer just after we left. Tried to fit the spare, just to find out it had a different pattern :( So then changed a 12 inch high pressure tire along side the road from the wrong rim to the blowout rim B)

See you there next time?

Simon did that picture of me, come out okay?

Cheers Bowy