Someone suggest me a reputable engine rebuilder in the midlands?

bluespanner

I have at the moment a dead 07 freelander 2.2, and it seems like engines for them are like rocking horse excrement.

Pan B is to mend the existing lump, but meddling with that sort of engine isn't really my bag, I'm more tdi than tdci.

Google reveals a wealth of supposed rebuilders/reconditioned but you hear all sorts of horror stories about silicone extruding from every pore, and so on.

Any ideas?

A cut out engine from a breaker is probably the best option.Many modern engines are not easy/cost effective to do.TDV6 engines for instance - pistons are not available, plus info on main bearing clearances is not released.

Not really like the LR of old is it ?

isn't that the peugeot engine which is in the pug 406? And a few other cars as well. Should be fairly easy to get I imagine.Daan

I think the engine is fitted to quite a few things, jag x type etc. thing is, they will all be a bit different, just how different I'm not sure but I want my life to be as easy as I can make it!

Wards In Rugby did the rebore of my 200 TDi and he's done a few other engines that I know well.Richard's a very nice, helpful chap and his prices are pretty good as well.His number is: 01788 543900 or 01788 542946

Would these guys take in the whole thing on a pallet? Or are they the kind of shop that just deal with the block, or the crank etc?

I'll do some phoning round.

The engine may be different in some ways, but it is normally limited to front covers, manifolds and bell housings, which with a bit of care should probably be able to be transferred across from your old engine.

• 2 weeks later...
Could try Halesowen Engines Ltd, long standing firm with a good reputation, I've used them in the past and was pleased.

Dropped it off this morning, what a nice bunch. It's also really nice to stick your head through the door and see a very busy workshop full of machines and blokes in aprons.