sound deadening material

JST

i am contemplating fitting some extra sound deadening to a hard top 90. it already has an exmoor trim acoustic matting thing.

the last time i did one i used Acoustickit and that was a while ago.

So who has recently fitted something and found it works, was good value, did what it should do and doesnt soak up water.

intent is to fit it under the moulded system in the front on the floors, seat box (possibly) and the bulkhead and then do the rear seat boxes. was thinking of something self adhesive sheet wise that i could cut to size.

Open to suggestions.

Please note i am not that keen on anything underbonnet wise as i want to keep it cool there!

I used tat stuff to line my camper, and I have to say that I didn't think it heavy enough for real sound-deadening. Bloody good insulation though, stayed in the camper the other night, and hardly needed to light the wood burner.

I've seen a fair number of threads here and elsewhere that advocate the use of flash-band tape, sticky abomination that it is, Ada sound deadening. The combination of the two would be dead, quiet, and well insulated.

I have bought Dynamat for my Discovery, looking to do the bonnet and the bulkhead,transmission tunnel and foot wells, I am considering doing the rear foot well and the rear wheel arches too, in just a bid to try and dampen down the noises.

I did consider the builders bitumen, but the Dynamat has come at a very keen price and it has been very highly recommended!!!

I have used Flash tape, I got from Screwfix, and I have to say it makes a big difference when it comes to panel drumming but it needs something a little more open to absorb the sound. I have sandwiched about 1 inch thick neoprene type foam (it is not specifically a noise absorber, just stuff I had in the garage) between the roof and the ribs and have a piece of plywood screwed into the roof ribs and then the roof lining attached to it. I think it has made a difference - but as I have only done the front cab it is hard to say how much noise is coming from the rear.

James,

I used Dynamat and it has done a great job at cutting in-car noise. Still nothing like a Eurobox but definitely easier to have a conversation at 70.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78279

It's offering little in the way of insulation unfortunately so I will probably re-visit this spring and add some closed cell foam under the roof lining, over the seat box and inside the door panels. I don't expect this to do much more for the sound characteristics but hopefully the cab will get warmer quicker and stay warmer for longer next winter.

Neil

You also need the panels to be as clean as possible to get good adhesion of the dynamat, this will deaden the panels and stop rattles and vibrations, but you will also need acoustic foam to make it quieter

I also remembered something from a mag article in LRW years ago about http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/acoustic_blankets_products.asp'>acoustic blankets and they fitted an engine blanket and a bell housing blanket for sure but I also think there was a transmission blanket too, one that was wrapped around it? I could be wrong about that and mistaking it for the large bell housing blanket though.

For Defender, worth looking at I suppose? But I think for the Disco, the Dynamat and the original sound proofing and insulation may well be enough without adding too much weight to the vehicle already?

I used to fit alot of Dynamat when I worked in the car audio industry, the foil backed stuff is self adhesive with a paper backing that you peel off, it's like a big sheet of the butyle tape used to stick in defender rear door windows. It's great stuff but for best results you need to make sure it's really well stuck, make sure the surface that you are sticking it too is really really clean and get yourself a small wallpaper seam roller, this will help you get any bubbles out and make sure it's really well stuck all over. If you need to get into any tight corners, you can use the handle of a screwdriver to get it stuck properly.

Dave

When I converted my VW van into a camper I bought a ply lining kit, covered it with proper car/van lining carpet and fitted it with lambs wool home insulation behind but with nothing actually stuck to the panels directly. In the van it made the most enormous difference to sound levels. I plan to do the same when I next buy a Landrover in need of sound/thermal insulation.

Chris